Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

ugh. my first exotica experience..

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

Question ugh. my first exotica experience..

i picked up my first box of exoticas yesterday, and got the first chance to try em out tonite. i cut a stick into 1/4's and put 3 pieces on my stove. i patiently waited while they 'cooked.' they started crackin and didnt look right. the ash that covered em wasnt white, but brown and dirty.. is this normal for exoticas? did i do something wrong? i've been smokin a bowl for about 30 minutes now, and the ash is still all brown and dirty looking. ive previously used some japanese style coals, and the ash is always white/grayish. when i went to ash em, the coals all crumbled into multiple glowing pieces and some of the holes that i poked in the foil were burned around the outside.. any advice?

-is it possible to get these coals too hot?
-is it possible to leave em on the burner for too long?
-i only used one layer of foil, should i have doubled it up?

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: ugh. my first exotica experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpos832 View Post
i picked up my first box of exoticas yesterday, and got the first chance to try em out tonite. i cut a stick into 1/4's and put 3 pieces on my stove. i patiently waited while they 'cooked.' they started crackin and didnt look right. the ash that covered em wasnt white, but brown and dirty.. is this normal for exoticas? did i do something wrong? i've been smokin a bowl for about 30 minutes now, and the ash is still all brown and dirty looking. ive previously used some japanese style coals, and the ash is always white/grayish. when i went to ash em, the coals all crumbled into multiple glowing pieces and some of the holes that i poked in the foil were burned around the outside.. any advice?

-is it possible to get these coals too hot?
-is it possible to leave em on the burner for too long?
-i only used one layer of foil, should i have doubled it up?

No it's not normal for the ash to be any color but gray or white.

Yes you can leave the coal on the burner too long. I always watch the coal as it heats up. When it's a quarter of the way red I roll the coal over once, and repeat until the whole coal is red and not a bit longer. I have seen many folks post pictures with them having problems with Exoticas cracking and splitting and most times the coal has been left on the burner too long.

Are you using Reynolds Heavy Duty foil or something comparable? I use 1 layer of Reynolds HD for every session, and I never have heat management issues.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

where did you get these?
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Oooo sounds like my Exoticas.... for the past 3 months. You got a bad batch, those are the EXACT symptoms man, throw that crap away. Either play roulette and buy another box, or buy some Coconara or other type coal, they will perform so much better then your Exoticas as of now.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

i got em at a hookah lounge in xxxxxx. it'll bum me out if the whole box is garbage

i have been using some japanese style coals, with the silver coating on em.. they smoked really well and i had no real problems with em except makin sure all the silver was off em before using em.

Last edited by jpos832; January 18th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Definitely is. Go down to the bottom row, and try one of those. If it doesn't crack, then it's good. Knowing Exoticas though, it will crack, and you'll need new coals that don't suck and break in half.
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM
ThatTrevorGuy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ThatTrevorGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpos832 View Post
i got em at a hookah lounge in fort collins, co. it'll bum me out if the whole box is garbage

i have been using some japanese style coals, with the silver coating on em.. they smoked really well and i had no real problems with em except makin sure all the silver was off em before using em.
Be careful with those Japanese coals. After about 1 month maybe 2 they go bad and they will completely ruin the taste of every bowl you load. I haven't smoked in a while due to not having any fresh coals. The Japanese I had are horrible and give me head aches.
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Some recommendations i can give are Orange Coals from Hookahcompany, Coconut Tabs from HookahCompany, Coconaras, or Golden canary coals from Hookahcompany.

They are all natural except the Canary coals, i recently was given some and they are very great coals. The Coconut Tabs are relatively cheap and light quicker then coconara, but don't last as long.
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

my experience with exoticas has been flawless
________
buy herbalaire

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

i havent ever heard anything but good reviews of the exoticas, thats why i gave em a shot..
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

If there is no coal taste while smoking...They aren't bad. Idk if its me...I don't care or mind if coals gets cracks in them, just as long as they work and don't break in half while ashing
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

If they crack they are in no way good. if a coal cannot even hold together with heat it's not a useable coal. When they are cracked they will split in half while ashing. Why get coals that crack when lighting which makes them weaker when there are plenty of clean coals that don't crack? Exoticas do last a while, but at 1/4 of their lifespan there is not enough heat to do anything with them. Their over-all size at that time is so minimal you would need 10 to smoke a regular sized bowl. They look like radioactive kangaroo babies!

A lot of people get good Exoticas, but when they crack and break and don;t retain heat correctly they are a bad batch, smell or no smell. Yes, they are cheap, but you have to hope you get a good batch everytime you spend 8 bucks (plus shipping)?
Dunkel trusts his Exoticas, as do many people, and I trust them that they are fine coals and do their job well. The issue isn't the coal's comparison, the issue is the Quality Control Exotic Imports lacks. When Dunkel says he has great coals, i believe he has great coals, but i don't know whether i will get the same coals he ahs when i make a purchase. So far, after 5 tries, i have not recieved a capable batch and have had to switch to cococnaras, which i prefer based on certain things i value.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

My exotica's are crap. lol
If the bottom is bad, then the whole box is probably bad.
go with coconara, they are more efficient, but they are a tad more expensive
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

well, golden canary japanese coal ash all black, a sign of no accelerants.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Idk I haven't had probs with the new exoticas...I think some people are just getting paranoid lol jk. The new ones don't crack to me and they don't break in half much. To tell the truth, I like these coals, no matter what! That is until I find a better coal :P Idk I just really like the exoticas...They are at a good price range and they aren't "magnificent" but they are pretty good.
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Johnny5
Hookah Newbie

I'm going to buy some pretty soon. Hopefully I don't get a bad batch...
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Why don't you get the Coconut Coals from HookahCompany? They have not received a bad review yet, and they are only 9.99.
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

yeahh i use exotica the work fine.. try a coal from the bottom next time if not. then i guess deal with it.. if not toss them and buy a new boc bc that color is odd.. them breaking is normal.. but they work fine after the break anway..
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:37 PM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

quick update.. we've smoked a couple more bowls with these coals, and they seem to be getting better. i tried a stick from the bottom, and one from the middle. they ash is still a little off color, but they're not crackin/crumbling anymore.. i turned the heat down a touch on the stove, and kept a closer watch on em. i'm not sure if i'm 100% sold on em though.. they're kind of a pain to break down into managable pieces.. i ended up breaking up a good portion of the sticks and puttin em in a tupperware dish so i dont have to make a mess everytime i wanna smoke.

dont the coconara come in managable pieces right out of the boxes? that would be worth spending a little bit more on..
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:41 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Its unfortunate that many members are having troubles with thier exoticas. However, I'm glad these issues are coming to light (excuse the pun). It doesn't look like we'll get a "show down" style review of coconara vs exotica anytime soon. Since it seems like there are more people complaining about exoticas than coconaras right now, can we get some folks to shed some negative light on coconaras? Please be specific and and provide example like the exotica folks have.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:29 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

My only problem with coco's is that they take the longest to light of any coal I've used. But they last over an hour and come precut, which is awesome.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
Its unfortunate that many members are having troubles with thier exoticas. However, I'm glad these issues are coming to light (excuse the pun). It doesn't look like we'll get a "show down" style review of coconara vs exotica anytime soon. Since it seems like there are more people complaining about exoticas than coconaras right now, can we get some folks to shed some negative light on coconaras? Please be specific and and provide example like the exotica folks have.
I know personally know someone who complained about cocos...Maybe he got a bad batch. He hated how long it took to light and the fact that there was a slight coal taste (even though the coals were red hot and glowing) and his hookah was clean. Also, he was smoking a flavor that he had dozens of times with exoticas. It was great to hear some negativity about Cocos because not every coal can be THAT perfect like everyone has been saying.

Hmmm my nearest hookah shop owner said he got a small box sample of Coconaras back in April. He was thinking of putting them up in stock and if he does...H-P WILL get a comparison from me lol Or when I get my paycheck, I'll order some cocos to try out and I'll even show pics of the ashes every like 10-15 mins to compare

Last edited by JillyIsJustKidding; July 26th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding View Post
I know at another place that someone complained about cocos...Maybe he got a bad batch. He hated how long it took to light and the fact that there was a slight coal taste (even though the coals were red hot and glowing) and his hookah was clean. Also, he was smoking a flavor that he had dozens of times with exoticas. It was great to hear some negativity about Cocos because not every coal can be THAT perfect like everyone has been saying.

Hmmm my nearest hookah shop owner said he got a small box sample of Coconaras back in April. He was thinking of putting them up in stock and if he does...H-P WILL get a comparison from me lol Or when I get my paycheck, I'll order some cocos to try out and I'll even show pics of the ashes every like 10-15 mins to compare
Yes, reveal the Truth!!!
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I have tried Coco naras and I didn't like them at all. They take forever to light, you have to flip them every 5 minutes or they start to go out and produce an awful coal taste. Plus they are way expensive.

The reason I praise Exoticas is because I'm still smoking from the original batch. I bought 6 kilos back in mid September just before everyone raved about how great they were. I was also given a kilo and 3/4 from the original batch. I get 100 smokes from each box unless I use my small super chief then it's 33 smokes LOL. I have had the original quality all this time, so I don't know about other batches.
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Davis18
Hookah Nut

with exoticas its all luck i guess you could say...i have had coals crack and i have had some that dont i have had some that crack after they get a little smaller.....but i mean even when they break you can just throw on a windcover or the broken bits on as well

but i would suggest putting down something on the floor if ur smoking in a room with carpet..because if one cracks and happens to land on the floor it wont be good and will ruin your whole session...i learned the hard way about that
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook