Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Vortex bowl + new AF cut = strange smoke

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Vortex bowl + new AF cut = strange smoke

Ok, I got my vortex bowl last night and my new AF. Since it's the new stuff, I figured I would open & air-it out (thunderstorms and high humidity is not the friend of tobacco).

So following the advice of other Vortex owners and SS's tips, I went and packed the bowl "nice and fluffy" and just under the holes on the center part. Used (2) 1" pieces of Exoticas and HD foil (1 layer) and windcover.

Put everything together and within 1 min I have smoke. Thin and whispy but smoke. BUT then I experienced what other members has said about certain batches of the new AF tobacco: "the throat tickle".

If I sipped the smoke I wouldn't cough, but even a slightly deeper drag produced a cough no matter what I tried. The smoke wasn't harsh, wasn't hot and had good flavor, but I couldn't stop the cough. Then it occured to me - Jilly found if you over pack the tobacco, it helps with the tickle.

So now I wonder... if I over pack the Tobacco - will the Vortex bowl work?

Before I left for work I did open all three new packages of tobacco to acclimate. I'll of course re-try tonight but still....

Oh, the picture is what the bowl looked like after 45min smoking (or rather trying to).

PS: I think I know why I had thin smoke - the bowl's mouth is wider than the top of my syrians by a good bit, (the bowl was wobbly) so next time a thicker grommet or damp PT will fix the thin smoke issue.
Attached Thumbnails
vortex bowl.jpg  

Last edited by sammniamii; August 1st, 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Vortex bowl + new AF cut = strange smoke

Thanks for the review Sam, I think I am going to stick with my Phunnel bowl. It has been the source of many awesome sessions for me, and the start of 2 of my friends new addiction to hookah. hehe
________
Ford Racing (video game)

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Not quite a review, but more like brain storming. I kinda bought the new bowl to deal with drippier stuff and the new AF (since I hadn't gotten the throat tickle, just extra pickiness on heat). But now I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the bowl if I have to pack it like Jilly has suggested....

Blarg, I wanna go home and SMOKE right NOW!
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I think I may just drop the money on a mod and pick up a glass screen while I am at it instead of grabbing the new bowl.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I always over=pack phunnels because i find it is the best way to smoke where I live. Maybe it's the same there. The Humidity over here is really, really low and the air quality is also really low, so i don't think i'll smoke today to save my throat when i get my Vortex, but maybe.... But anyway, you should try over-packing.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I will, how knows it might still work.

Well, I'm hoping so....

But this weekend I'm gonna try alittle of everything to see how it work with different brands and see which do what :]
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii View Post
PS: I think I know why I had thin smoke - the bowl's mouth is wider than the top of my syrians by a good bit, (the bowl was wobbly) so next time a thicker grommet or damp PT will fix the thin smoke issue.
Excellent point that I haven't heard here before. This bowl requires a thicker grommet than a phunnel or a egyptian bowl. Luckily I have a tub of grommets and found one that fits. It's this one.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
churlz
Hookah Nut

You packed under the holes? I get better results going over the holes and just barely under the lip of the bowl.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Well I packed AF Vanilla this time (new batch) and over-packed and smooched down - this time w/ slightly longer coals and PT for a grommet I'm getting a MUCH better smoke. It seems packing it heavier will work, although I still kept the amount just below the holes in the center piece (and away from the coals).

Nicer poofy clouds!

-----------

EEK! Be careful of over-packing! LOL - this bowl can STILL BURN the tobacco. I smelt burning tobacco and removed the windcover - the bowl was steaming. It's cooling back down to smokable levels, although it's still steaming.

Do phunnels steam (smoke from the top)?

Last edited by sammniamii; August 1st, 2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

Sometimes Phunnels will. lol
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Scaried me silly, my pervious phunnel never smoked/steamed, but I didn't use/keep it for very long.

But I am beginning to like this bowl.

Now... how do I explain the BF that I dropped a coal on his nice carpet! (Thankfully it didn't leave a black mark, just melted down some of the fibers in about a quarter sized area).
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Heh nice. But I said to PACK it down NOT over pack! lol :P Report back if it works out for ya samm!
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
persianpimp730
Hookah Nut

yeah i got my vortex today and did the same thing with new AF bubble gum and the cough was there and the smoke was wispy throughout...lots of flavor though
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Bender222
Hookah Newbie

on my vortex i packed it up to the rim ( above the holes) and it was fine. all AF I have tried to date has caused throat tingle. it did smoke well though.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Well, I overpacked it - about as much as I shove in my E bowl, then tamped it down some. For Vanilla AF is smoked GREAT! 1.5-2 hours, some unburnt in the bottom and although I put too much heat on once, removing it settled things down and I was still able to smoke it.

Today I will be trying the tingler flavor (watermelon) to see if overpacking helps - I'm hoping cause I bought the flavor because @ the lounge it was great.... I love the smell!

So far the Vortex does seem worth it's price. I still want a small phunnel or jet bowl, but for what I needed the Vortex does help. Video is expected today.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Falhini
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Falhini

I just ordered a vortex and some AF mint, AF Grape and some hookah-hookah shots. Hopefully i'll get a good batch of grape because i still haven't tried it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook