Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah vs Cigies.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
ronchinoy
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah vs Cigies.

While Ive been smoking 30-40 cigies for the past 30 years.
Was under the false impresion that Hookha would help me stop smoking.

Is it just me or do others find it strange that the hookah is advertised as having 0% tar and .5% nicotine.

Then I find comments like the following
"According to Eissenberg, studies suggest that smoke from a single hookah session contains approximately 36 times the tar, 1.7 times the nicotine, and 8.3 times the carbon monoxide as the smoke produced by one cigarette."

Being a chain smoker myself Im not trying to preach to anybody.
But I think most people thinking of taking up the hookaha thinking it is harmless need a wake up call.

I got mine just now.
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
kryptic
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Hookah vs Cigies.

When these tests are done they assume hookah tabacoo has as much weight in tabacoo as regular cigs. They don't take into account the the the molasses/tobacco ratio. And sometimes they use BBQ coals instead of regular coals so you will get a lot of cardon monoxide. Hookah tobacco does have 0% tar in it but does produce tar when it is baked with the coal. (Hence why you have the resint in your pipes when you clean it.) But not nearly as much as cigs because cigs are light on fire which produces the tar. Some studies say a whole hookah session produces the same effect as smoking 100 cigs. But think of it this way. If I tried to smoke 100 cigs at a time I'd probably die. Hookah sessions probably produce the amount of smoke of 100 cigs in a session but with there being molasses/tobacco combo the smoke isn't pure tobacco. A Hookah session is more like smoking 2-4 cigs. Think about it this way. I used to roll my own cigs and it took about 16 ounces to make a carton of cigs. Now that is 453 grams of pure tobacoo. if the ratio of molasses to tobacco is 1/1 that means that is 906 ounces of hookah tobacco. If you divide it up with 15 grams of tobacco each session that means it takes 60 sessions to smoke the equivilent of 200 cigs. That means you smoke about 3 cigs after an entire hookah session. And if you smoke with even one friend that is only 1.5 a session. Go under the In The News section of Hookah Stuff and you will see similar studies done. Hookah isn't a healthly alternative to cigs but I still believe they are better then 30-40 cigs a day. I used hookah as a crutch it quit smoking cigs and it helped a lot. It gave me a nice little nicotine hit when I needed it and it tasted so much better. And I stopped, for the most part, from having to take anti-acid pills daily from acid reflux from smoking cigs so much. So yea, my 2 cents.

Last edited by kryptic; August 11th, 2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Ha, Kryptic wrote a book on that! Your last 3 sentences were the best in my opinion. You're like me, you used the hookah as a crutch to get off cigs. Congrats man
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
kryptic
Hookah Newbie

Thanks man. I wanted to always to quit smoking and I couldn't do it cold turkey. One day I realized I had almost no money so it was cigs or food. I picked food. I had a ton of hookah tobacco so I smoked it as much as I needed to until the urge of having a cig went to nothing. It's a great feeling to say no when people ask me if I want a cig.
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:03 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

That bit of math you did is great. A wonderful comparison with numbers to back it up. Thank you.
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

There are a lot of fake studies out there so be careful. I have read a couple good ones, actually Sambooka found a really good one, try to find it. The hookah is not 100% healthy for anyone, but one study that I read done in Afhganistan with a bunch of locals (with a variety of different smokers). The study concluded that smokeing the hookah an hour a day once a day actually showed the same carcenogenic levels in the blood as someone who breathes normal air. Someone that has 2-3, 3 hour sessions a day and smokes cigs, now his levels are about 10xs higher then the others. So like most things, moderation, and spacing between sessions. The water does help act as a filiter, but just take it easy and enjoy the session.
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
lovellhookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchinoy View Post

Is it just me or do others find it strange that the hookah is advertised as having 0% tar and .5% nicotine.

"According to Eissenberg, studies suggest that smoke from a single hookah session contains approximately 36 times the tar, 1.7 times the nicotine, and 8.3 times the carbon monoxide as the smoke produced by one cigarette."

But I think most people thinking of taking up the hookaha thinking it is harmless need a wake up call.

I got mine just now.
I did some research myself on this topic before. It takes you smoking hookah for 45 minutes straight, no breaks, nothing, by yourself, to get the same amount of nicotine and tar that is produced from smoking one cigarette. They advertise that it has no tar and only .5% nicotine because the tobacco is not burned like a cigarette, it is only heated and it does not burn. Another thing is that a lot of the crap that you get from a cigarette comes from stuff put in the filter to make it more addicting., and by law they only have to report the stuff they put in the tobacco part. The paper itself is also toxic.

When you smoke hookah, you don't get these things. compare hookah smoke to cigarette smoke. Hookah smoke is much whiter and purer than that of cigarette smoke. The water in the hookah also helps to filter out any tar that may be produced. That's why your water may be a little darker than when you first put it in.

I used to smoke cigarettes, but now that I've discovered the Almighty Power of Hookah, I'm a cig smoker no more!!! I just can't stand the taste anymore...

Anyway, hopes this answers any and all of your questions.
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovellhookah View Post
I did some research myself on this topic before. It takes you smoking hookah for 45 minutes straight, no breaks, nothing, by yourself, to get the same amount of nicotine and tar that is produced from smoking one cigarette. They advertise that it has no tar and only .5% nicotine because the tobacco is not burned like a cigarette, it is only heated and it does not burn. Another thing is that a lot of the crap that you get from a cigarette comes from stuff put in the filter to make it more addicting., and by law they only have to report the stuff they put in the tobacco part. The paper itself is also toxic.

When you smoke hookah, you don't get these things. compare hookah smoke to cigarette smoke. Hookah smoke is much whiter and purer than that of cigarette smoke. The water in the hookah also helps to filter out any tar that may be produced. That's why your water may be a little darker than when you first put it in.

I used to smoke cigarettes, but now that I've discovered the Almighty Power of Hookah, I'm a cig smoker no more!!! I just can't stand the taste anymore...

Anyway, hopes this answers any and all of your questions.
AMEN!!! If you are wearing a white t-shirt I want you to try something. Take a hit of a cigarette and look at your filter. Now take the hookah hose and put your shirt over the mouth piece and take a hit. See any residue on your shirt? ....I didn't think so. All these reviews you are reading about cigs vs hookah are biased to hell and back in my honest opinion. When you smoke cigarettes, it's addictive and very hard to stop. When you smoke hookah, you can easily limit yourself (even though it tastes so damn good it's kind of hard to). Lots of toxins are in cigarettes, and I don't believe hookah is SAFE for you as you know your risks of tobacco use. However, I do strongly believe that hookah is much safer than cigarettes. These studies and reviews seem so biased to me that it's just ridiculous. Anyone else feel this way?
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I really wish there was a scientific experiment that wasn't BIASED and the hookah was set up PROPERLY and not the bowl not burnt to shit. I bet they put the coals directly on the wet shisha and instantly thought that was how it was supposed to be.
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Where is Hajo when you need him?

Quickly dispell any lies left inside this thread, for truly it is the way of the Shaytaan.
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchinoy View Post

I got mine just now.
Outside of the excellent comments about the poor quality of narghile research I would like to add a couple of things about nicotine. Nicotine absorption has a lot to do with smoking methods and if you simply taste rather then inhale smoke far less nicotine will enter your blood stream. I was tested by one of my employers to establish what adjustments need to made to my coverage and co-payments and it was the pronouncement of the testing lab that I am a non-smoker as a result of my cardio-vascular condition, lack of nicotine in my blood stream and lung capacity. I've been smoking almost daily for about 35/36 years now so that I think says something.

I will also point out moassel can't have nicotine concentrations comparible to or higher then ciggarettes do to agglutination process driving off a great deal of the naturally occuring oils and chemically altering the tobacco. If you want to reduce noctine intake i'd suggest removing stems from what you smoke because nicotine concentration is far higher in roots and stems then in the actually leaves. Also, since moassel is not actaully combusted nicotine extraction efficiency is far lower for then it in cigarettes.

Lastly, nicotine is far less adictive then then claimed. Such a conclusion is the only reasonable one to reach if one considered that literally 10s of millions of ex-smokers have kicked the habbit without ever seeking professional help or medications of any kind. The same can't be said about any other substance widely considered to be adictive.
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
ShishaBubbly
Banned

The Eissenberg test was done so un-professionally with the ovious motive to villify shisha. I smoke hookah lots and daily but if I try to inhale a cigarette I choke.
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
squareben
Hookah Nut

Anything in moderation.
Except cigarettes.
=]
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM
vincent0990
Hookah Newbie

Im so tired of seeing people argue over this subject. lol. They are both bad for you lets just leave it at that.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook