Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Packing the Vortex 101

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Default Packing the Vortex 101

Hey guys, just ordered a vortex bowl for my soon-to-be pimped QT and i was wondering if anyone could give me the rundown on how to pack it. Everything i've learned about hookah has been through trial and error, i'd really love to be able to skip the error part this time around =).

Thanks,
Mike
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:34 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Default Re: Packing the Vortex 101

pack normally. the end. theres a post about this somewhere. search my friend....because im drunk ATM.

Old August 19th, 2008, 05:59 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Yeah, when you get this bowl, I think it will revolutionize your smoking experience. I just can't say enough good things about this bowl. I posted a video of BIG smoke, and it was this bowl that helped this Arabian Phenom accomplish enough to say "Codename WHO!?" LOL, this is what I want you to do when you get this bowl:

1) Sprinkle your shisha around the cone like you would pack any bowl. You can bring the shisha up to the four holes in the cone and it will be fine. Leave room under the lip of the bowl so that your coals aren't sitting right on top of the shisha.
2) Put the foil on and the way how Mr. Bungle and I like to do is poke 3 layers of holes around the outer edge of the bowl. This will give you great airflow and this is a must!
3) Put the charcoal on the outer edge of the bowl as you know how to do I'm sure. I like to use 3 Coco Naras if I have them in stock, otherwise just make sure you have a good bit on there, it'll supply you with big smoke and you probably want that I'm guessing. The most important thing is DON'T BE AFRAID TO GET HARSH SMOKE! EXPERIMENT!!!

Those are my 3 steps I take and I found this to be quite successful. I use heaps of coal and I never have any harsh smoke, maybe once every so often (more so with shisha like Nakhla because it's a bit dry), but for the most part it isn't a big factor with the Vortex bowl. I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any troubles my friend

NOTE: If you don't get big smoke right away, don't be upset. Be patient and let that bowl heat up well and you will have big smoke that is absolutely full of flavour. I assure you of this.

- Salaam

Last edited by FarBeyondDriven; August 19th, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

so whats up with the different positions and align'n of the holes. i notice not all vortex has its holes at the same spot. i think i got a bad bowl bc my holes are so close to the bottom, im sure thats not how its suppose to be. ima try it again today but i tired it lastnight and itj ust didnt work right.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Bender222
Hookah Newbie

I got one with holes near the bottom aswell. It did not function at all as intended. I contacted customer service and they happily dispatched another an I am expecting it any day now.
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hooksta
Hookah Nut

It is way easier then a regular bowl. Just sprinkle your shisha (if it is hookah-hookah brand) all the way to the bottom of the holes on the middle part of the bowl. Do not cover or go over the holes with shisha. If it is AF shisha or anything similiar to it you can pack down the shisha a little. Just make sure you don't cover the holes. Put on a piece of foil (one should be fine) and make one ring of holes around the rim of the bowl and then a 1/4 inch inward past the first set of holes. Put your coals on opposite sides of the bowl, and smoke on.
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
esisomsun
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender222 View Post
I got one with holes near the bottom aswell. It did not function at all as intended. I contacted customer service and they happily dispatched another an I am expecting it any day now.

yeah johnathan of SS just contacted me and im getting a replacement also!

good looking out SS!
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Hmm, I use the 40mm golden QLs, i've NEVER used more than 1 coal to light a bowl with these things. So what QLs (don't have the patience for naturals) would you suggust i use to get the full experience out've the vortex?
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

First and foremost, if your bowl has the holes near the bottom, something is definitely wrong. My holes are near the top of the cone. Good on Sahara Smoke for correcting your problem . As for coals Liszt, if you are going to use QL's, I hear Three Kings are good, maybe you try Al Fakher QL's, or maybe even Golden Coals. Make sure you get it from John at *************.com though because he is the best.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Ya i primarily use goldens since that is what my local tobacco shop provides, perhaps i'll try some of these 3 kings. My tobbacoist just told me to avoid Cocos if i'm not a patient person, said the taste is better and they last longer, but take about 10 minutes to heat up.

I need my hookah now, not 10 minutes down the road! XD
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Ha Liszt, Coco Naras absolutely rule man. I prefer Naturals over QL's anyday. But as for the 10 minute to light deal, your tobaccoist is incorrect. I always had my Coco Naras lit in 5 minutes on the stove. Just put the coals on there and crank that sucker wide open. If you have the cash to shell out, you should really try Coco Nara Naturals man, I love them.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Liszt
Hookah Pro

Well I'll try anything once, how much would a functioning burner/ a pack of these coals cost?

He did say they just make the session taste better than QLs, so i know i'll like them. I just need to figure out the costs, I'm I poor college kid living off minimum wage =)
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:40 PM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

That sucks man...I have seen those days, quite depressing for me. And Coco Naras are expensive coals but if you want the best you must pay the price they say. They come in different packages/sizes, so you'll have to look around. Hookah-Shisha offers them, but for a more affordable great Natural coal, at the moment you should get Exoticas from John. He has the best prices *************.com
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
jpos832
Hookah Nut

anyone tried the coconaras on the vortex? i usually use 2 - 1/4 sticks of exoticas and they work just fine on the vortex, but when i use coconaras (2 pieces, opposite sides of the bowl) the smoke gets harsh pretty quick.. i usually start with a windcover to get the bowl heated and then remove it.. any ideas?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook