Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

need help with parents about smoking hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Battler
Hookah Newbie

Default need help with parents about smoking hookah

Hey Guys,
I just turned 18 and still live with my parents. They still wont allow me to smoke a hookah even though i do it all the time at friends and stuff but for once i want to be able to smoke a hookah with them allowing it. Can anyone help me with a good reason to be able to smoke a hookah?

M.M.

Last edited by Battler; September 8th, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: made a mistake
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: need help with parents about smoking hookah

You are infusing more culture into your lifestyle. ....?
If you are 18 and can't smoke in their house, smoke outside the house or make a deal with them to have the garage to yourself?
There's no "good" reason to smoke hookah, like health benefits, and if you have sketchy friends or your friends have sketchy friends then your most likely SOL on the social interaction aspect that could get you a win. Best thing is to just smoke somewhere it's allowed cause your 18 and it's legal?
Their house their rules. That's the law of the land, and there's no way around it.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
HookahPrincess
Hookah Nut

there really is no good reason as previously stated, but it is a better alternative to cigarettes. If they smoke cigs ask them to come try it with you. one 50g jar of shisha is equal to less than one cig, and smoking hookah forces you to breath slower and relax, not to mention tastes good. so try some of those, other than that, they are your parents and it is their house and their rules. hope this helps a lil.

Last edited by Dunkel; September 8th, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Removed NHT comments
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

If you want to talk to your parents you could read up on why anti-tobacco research is total bs. I've a mountain of info i've posted here about that sort of thing but if your parents are not open to reason then all you can do is smoke while outside. I prefer smoking outside so that is what I suggest you do.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Murkmastur
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Murkmastur Send a message via Yahoo to Murkmastur

Show them what you're smoking, open a pack of shisha and let them see what it looks like, what it smells like, and give them the facts on tar and nicotine. Explain that you'd never abuse your hookah, print out information. It took a while for my parents to warm up to it, maybe it'll take a bit of time for you too?
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I had a similar issue with my parents on tobacco when I turned 18 and was still in the home.

I moved out.

Their house, their rules.
My house, my rules.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Agree with Lake on this one.
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Same problem mate but i told em that i did it outside with my mates and told em the price, and how much cheaper and better it was for me to do it at home cos of the cheap QL they use outside whereas at home i would be using naturals etc, talk bout cost benefit and see what they say
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster View Post
Their house, their rules.
My house, my rules.

Definitely.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:50 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

I had this problem. im about to turn 19 now and i have been freely able to smoke my hookah in my room at my parents house for a few months now. they are the typical anti-anything type of parents. when they found out i did hookah they were like " omg drug addict!!" and would not let me smoke in the house but i explained to them what it was, and that ive never touched any illegal drugs, and that i dont even smoke cigs. just hookah. they still dont like it but they agreed i am 18 its legal and dont care that i smoke in my room but they prefer the garage. lol. just explain to them its not illegal its much much much healthier then cigs.and its not drugs that get you high or anything and it doesnt leave a disgusting smell around the house like cigs do. just keep tryin man theyll come around eventually and if not then i guess its time to move out?
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

i'd suggest showing them how it's done and invite them to join you. I have a lot of father/son teams that come in to the store where the son introduced their parents to it. Also, I get alot of parent/kid orders online. I think it's a great way for parents and their children to spens some quality time together.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Good point. What i'd like to see is more of the social ritual aspect of smoking appear in the West. Using a narghile without the social ritual is kinda weird and unnatural although some times that is the only option.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

i don't live with my parents anymore...but one of these days i will introduce them to hookah (neither of which know that i smoke), my dad smokes cigs so i don't see him having a problem with it

but if your parents look up effects of smoking hookah tell them it's all BS!
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
1lowtoy
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to 1lowtoy Send a message via Yahoo to 1lowtoy

Ill tell you now im almost 30 and some parents are never going to change. Rember there providing for you and its there house, there rules! i moved out early in life and now that i look back they gave me allot so it proably was best to respect there judgment now there is nothing wrong trying but if they dont budge give it a rest then try again later.
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Sykotik
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sykotik Send a message via MSN to Sykotik Send a message via Yahoo to Sykotik

tell them the shisha has lots of protein and Vitamins in it. and the water is healthier than ever.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
JayTheHookahBoy
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JayTheHookahBoy

move out?? lol
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM
motopwn
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to motopwn

What won my parents over and finally got them to allow me to not only smoke but to purchase a hookah was the fact that the 50g jar of hookah shisha < 1 cigarette. That works greatly.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:10 AM
aznfamous
Hookah Nut

my parents dont approve of me smoking any amount of anything equivalent to a cigarette. yet, i smoke both hookah and cigarettes. i've had no outside influence since im the only one to ever smoke in my family. other than my grandma who carried my uncles and aunts on her back when she ran from the genocide in cambodia decades ago. my reason is that i like the physics of smoke but like that holds meaning. i do what i choose to because i do it responsibly.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
FarBeyondDriven
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Yahoo to FarBeyondDriven Send a message via Skype™ to FarBeyondDriven

Yes, as stated by Lake and John above, I would talk to them about it the best you can. Reason with them, and if you still can't get through to them, you'll have to figure out what to do on your own. However, I've never had this problem. As Lake said above, their house, their rules. Your house, your rules
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

I have no experience in this situation, only because I never did anything in my entire life. I mean, I tried a cigarette twice and have an occasional beer or two, but I was never a druggie or alcoholic. I would start off with making a deal with them, like smoking outside as some have stated. Once you get that through the door, you can start showing them the hookah and giving them information about it.
________
Toyota Revo specifications

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
jeech
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahPrincess View Post
...one 50g jar of shisha is equal to less than one cig...
Really? Is this true?
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

i have parents that are more lax on alota things but smoken and drinkin and tats/peircings are not one.

they threw a fit when i got my ear pierced they said if i ever got a tat i'd be kicked outta the hosue and blablabla

they almost booted me for smoken black n milds, finally something clicked in there heads(after i had a fulltime job and payin for my own crap) that im a grown person i take care of all my own things and that i could move out and live on my own if wanted but since i stay and help them financially they let me do what ever i want with no greif

its about mutual respect basically once you have there respect as being your own person and you respect them and there wishes things will go alot smoother

my parents hate me smoken but my dad will watch me pack a bowl and has an idea of how to now lol he is interested in smoken but just hates the smell
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

my dad hates the smell of the hookah too. i often smoke on the balcony or in my party room
when my dad isnt at home i smoke in my room.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook