Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Mya line of hookahs

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 11th, 2008, 03:13 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Exclamation The Mya line of hookahs

I was looking into purchasing a Mya hookah. But as I was looking through the forums i read alot of negativity towards this brand of hookahs. What I want to know is why is Mya bad? Please give your opinion on this brand. like why would you or wouldnt you get a mya. What are the pros and cons etc. Please give your opinion thank you.
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Default Re: The Mya line of hookahs

i won't say anything negative about them. It was my preference of hookah about a year ago. once i joined this community i actually learned about why other hookahs are desirable, like mz and km. MYA though has some great products like portable smaller hookahs that work great, you'll see some members here demonstrating how they get just as satisfying of a smoke from a mya as they would from an larger egyptian. i think it's a preference thing as i have gone to the egyptian side, (sometimes syrian) but i have to admit that i still have a mya in my collection.
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:25 AM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

yeah i also wanted to get a KM. then i here that sometimes they come slanted or someshit. which would you prefer KM or MYA, or better yet what is your all time favorite hookah and favorite brand?
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:09 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

i got 2 Mya's so i gotta say they are pretty good, but i would only consider getting the mya if you wont one that is more then 1 hose as they multi hose hookahs are really good, but for the single hose either a KM or Syrian for me
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

The major downfall I've see recently with MYA is the downfall of their glass quaility. I own a QT, it has some issues, but it also has it's pluses. I'm one of those people that believes one should never diss something until you've tried it, thus why I bought my QT. It's a decent little rig, I can compair it to my 22" Eypgtain. Would I ever suggest it to another person - probably, depending on the person. A seasoned smoker would see past the few problems and be able to smoke fine from it, a newer smoker may have issues and get annoyed at it (or it could work fine and they love it). Each person it different and each to their own.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Speak_In_Vowels
Hookah Nut

this is my oppinion with myas:
i've owned two myas within the past 2 years, ive had a mya acrylic, and a mya frost.
now the acrylic was like a effin tank, it took beating better than i would have ever imagined without ever showing it, still smoked pretty decent.

now the frost was like a god among hookahs i only had it for about 5 days before my friend dropped it off of my schools roof(long story) but i have to say it's by far the best hookah aesthetically speaking and gave an amazing smoking experience. i wish she was still around =/

anyways on a brighter note im a strong believer in that you get what you pay for, with the exception of the mya qt and babino, they are both rather durable, and the mya qt could easily double as a weapon =p

now i understand that mya mass produces their hookahs via machines and that in itself has it's own problems, but i also think that for being such a mass produced pipe, that it is by far the best line of chinese pipes out on the market to this day and probably wil stay like that for a very long time.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

I have a mya mini and a 30" 2 hose (upgradeable to 4 hose) obelisk. Both smoke great. easily perform as well as my egyptian, and have an autoseal feature which is great if you're smoking with friends. I wouldn't hesitate to grab a mya. The aesthetics are good, quality is great, and most importantly.....it produces copious volumes of smoke.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
kingboyb
Banned

I have been using my bambino for a while now, and have had no issues.
For the money, the minis are rather good.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I tried out Myas back when I owned a cafe and they gave me nothing but trouble. I've owned several of them personally and I never had one that worked well for more then a few months. I keep hearing that the glass quality is crap these days and that the downstems are crooked and rust seems to be an issue.

Lots of people here love Myas so clearly your luck may be better then mine. Still, i've had a lot of experience with Mya and in the end they are more expensive then a lot of Syrians and well built Egyptians so why bother with them? Also, they are made in the PRC so when you buy a Mya you support slavery and communism as a result of the economy is run in that country.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

You can't argue with experience. Fortunately my experience with Mya has been good (and incidentally, the hookah bars in my area favor myas). I just smoke em...I'm less concerned with the politics of where they're made. I'll leave that to the pundits....cause lord know they have our best interests at heart. :P
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

k thanx because i was also leaning towards a KM and just get me a bambino to travel. ill just wait till John from CH stocks up on KMs
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
yeags777
Hookah Pro

my friend has a mya, it's beautiful and it's perfectly fine for smoking.
________
green crack

Last edited by yeags777; February 4th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
1stGenRex
Hookah Pro

I would preffer a Mya over a pumpkin if I was looking for a smaller hookah as they smoke great for a small hookah, but the pricetag isn't so nice :P
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Roadie
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
I was looking into purchasing a Mya hookah. But as I was looking through the forums i read alot of negativity towards this brand of hookahs. What I want to know is why is Mya bad? Please give your opinion on this brand. like why would you or wouldnt you get a mya. What are the pros and cons etc. Please give your opinion thank you.
It's all personal preference. You can get good and bad products from any company, Mya, KM, MZ, etc.

I have a Mya Bambino that's a great pipe, about as solid and as well made as anything out there. I have the spectrum from a modern Stargate to handmade KM's and MZ's. They are all great. As long as they are airtight, have a decent sized chamber/vase for smoke, you should be good to go.

Now bowls, hoses, and shisha, that's another discussion..................
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

It's personal preference. Having own non-mya multihosers, mya multihosers, and a km i would say this: For Multiple hoses Mya gets my vote. For single hose systems go with a KM or MZ, they are much nicer for that purpose. That said, a mya QT does smoke amazingly well.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i like myas, havent gotten the pleasure to own one yet but my friend owns one and i have smoked from a few. nice rigs

as to the mass/machine produced, frankly in the hookah industry it seems that it is common to allow "hand made" hookahs to have more imperfections and corrosion on them from the factory, frankly im going to school and taking glass and metals classes, i expect better quality out of hand made because i know how to do it or at least theoretically how to.

my next hookah will probably a medium sized mya (18ish in) preferably one with one of the snazzy cases so i can take it with me more easily

totally go for it, if you dont like it some one will buy it of you
-matt
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:51 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

i was lookaing to buy a mya gyro from hookah-shisha.com because of that free hookah thing lol. but i really like that hookah i going to get a 2 hose because most of the time i will be smoking with my cousin
Old September 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
jonsmokeshookah
Hookah Newbie

My problem with Mya is the price. I don't understand why a Made in China, mass produced hookah has to cost so much more than hand made Egyptians. Sure Mya uses stainless steel, they have some bohemian vases, the look cool, etc. But I still don't understand why they are sold for so much. I think the only decent priced Mya are the Bambinos and QT's.

I completely love Mya. They are very solid, reliable hookahs, and they smoke like champs. Just don't like the price tag.
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsmokeshookah View Post
My problem with Mya is the price. I don't understand why a Made in China, mass produced hookah has to cost so much more than hand made Egyptians. Sure Mya uses stainless steel, they have some bohemian vases, the look cool, etc. But I still don't understand why they are sold for so much. I think the only decent priced Mya are the Bambinos and QT's.

I completely love Mya. They are very solid, reliable hookahs, and they smoke like champs. Just don't like the price tag.
just because its made in china doesnt mean it will be cheap, it probably will be cheaper but not necessarily. also think how cheap hookahs are over in the middle east, same rig here is like 60-90% less because they are made there and are a dime a dozen.

also "machine made" (not sure how much human interaction it really takes) if they are automated machines you have to have some one set them up, maybe even make parts for the machine to use to get the pieces right. the equipment to "hand make" a hookah really doesnt cost that much and then the materials that they use are cheaper.

-matt
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
jonsmokeshookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
just because its made in china doesnt mean it will be cheap, it probably will be cheaper but not necessarily. also think how cheap hookahs are over in the middle east, same rig here is like 60-90% less because they are made there and are a dime a dozen.

also "machine made" (not sure how much human interaction it really takes) if they are automated machines you have to have some one set them up, maybe even make parts for the machine to use to get the pieces right. the equipment to "hand make" a hookah really doesnt cost that much and then the materials that they use are cheaper.

-matt
I just think something that takes much less time to make should cost less. I know Mya uses good material which is why they're one of the most reliable and solid hookahs. I don't know. I just think that in comparison with other hookahs, there's no reason Mya's should cost so much.
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

time is only part of it. the machinery to make it faster, the better materials, the fact that the materials are harder to machine than others so that ups cost, shipping could be more, etc

just because it only takes 1/2 the times to make the item that is a small fraction of what goes into manufacturing, the over head and materials are part of it and then also the margin of profit plus the amount of middle men. say H-S gets a hookah and sells it for 65 bucks but they go it from their factory in the middle east where as when they get a mya it goes from the factory in china owned by mya who marks it up, maybe a distributor that marks it up then H-S would mark it up before the sell it to you. my local shop sells myas for a lot less than most of the places on line, heck i could buy the hookahs and turn around and sell them and make 15 bucks per and still sell them for less than on line.

-matt
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
jonsmokeshookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
time is only part of it. the machinery to make it faster, the better materials, the fact that the materials are harder to machine than others so that ups cost, shipping could be more, etc

just because it only takes 1/2 the times to make the item that is a small fraction of what goes into manufacturing, the over head and materials are part of it and then also the margin of profit plus the amount of middle men. say H-S gets a hookah and sells it for 65 bucks but they go it from their factory in the middle east where as when they get a mya it goes from the factory in china owned by mya who marks it up, maybe a distributor that marks it up then H-S would mark it up before the sell it to you. my local shop sells myas for a lot less than most of the places on line, heck i could buy the hookahs and turn around and sell them and make 15 bucks per and still sell them for less than on line.

-matt
I guess its all about the situation than.
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:00 AM
hookhaham
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hookhaham

well im getting a mya bambino next week , i chose it bcoz my freind has 1 and its brilliant
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook