Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Help me pick a hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 19th, 2008, 11:49 PM
tempest
Hookah Newbie

Default Help me pick a hookah

So I've been reading these forums a while now and it seems that everyone swears by the brand of hookah they own.

Here's what I think I've learned so far. Please correct any misconceptions I might have.

KM - almost legendary in the community, but I'd have to drop $100+
Mya - great smokers and supposedly cheaper, yet after an initial hookahshisha.com scouring, it seems even these start around $80.

The financial aspect is rather important because I'm a lowly college student but with Christmas around the corner, I might be able to con the folks into chipping in.

Here's a big question. I've seen mention of KM and Mya yet no one is specific about which KM/Mya they use. Is there any significant difference between the 32"/36"/40" etc apart from the size, look etc. Do they smoke any differently? Does any one size excel?

I guess what I'm looking for from you guys is added insight into the selection process.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Help me pick a hookah

myas are more expensive then KMs.i would say go with a KM or an MZ
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

You can get KMs for <100$, both of mine were less than that and i have a 40" and a 32" inch. thehookah has like a 29" pear if i remember right for 70? A lot of the mya hookahs are much more expensive that KMs
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

John even has a 34" chiller for 89.99 and you can get 10% off til friday at *************
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM
TheHookahStore
Vendor

Myas can actually be found for as little as $35
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

If you check out john's package for mya's at *************.com you'd be surprised.

I have a KM. Its nice, i rated it a 9.5/10.
I have a Mya. Its good for traveling, but the stem is quite tiny, but still a thick smoker.

I still prefer smoking out of my Nours and syrian generics back home. I just love the heavy brass stem.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

I still say there are good no names to be found. Look for hand made. Everything I read before coming here said roughly 20 to 36 inches is best larger is harder to clean but possible and smaller can be harder to manage. People here just seem to say when you get the hang of it if it is well made and looks good it is good. I find it funny though that even the big names aren't tremendously more than the generics. The only thing the name seems to do is mean you can bet on better consistency. MZ, KM, and MYA seem to pretty well consistently turn out good hookahs. Generics can be hit or miss mostly hookahs are fairly simple instruments so the main things that can get screwed up is inferior welds, inferior materials, and apparently inferior grommets. Not sure why there would be inferior grommets but some people seem to have some issues with them sealing so not sure what that is about I would say it is replaceable, inferior materials like stainless steel that isn't exactly the right allow blend or didn't go through the right heating or cooling might break or rust, inferiror welds can start leaks. Watch those things and get whatever appeals to you.
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

MYA's have a whole range of hookahs from $29-$200, you can't put them all together, their QT's are a favorite success for beginners which I haven't tried, however I have tried many of the medium ones over the years. I know it's a preference thing, but my preference in KM or MZ. The Mya's have not been as good lately. They look great, but performance is more important to me.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
hookahlife
Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to hookahlife Send a message via AIM to hookahlife

Mya's start around $35 (for the QT), and you can get high quality Egyptian hookahs/Rotators starting at $60.

For a college student, I wouldnt recommend anything too big so try a Mya QT or for higher quality a Razo or Chic. A Mya Acrylic would also be a good choice since its expandable up to 4 hoses and the Acrylic is pretty durable, they start at around $60.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hookah Life
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I havn't seen my Mya in stores for a while, at least not exactly, the closest i could find was this one here: http://www.*************.com/shop/pr...046c0be48f8a47

except it was red, and the base was not that style, it was more rounded.

It works well enough, but for the money, why not get a generic syrian or egyptian?

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:15 PM
tempest
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm no beginner to hookah smoking. I grew up in Dubai and have been smoking the damn things since 9th grade. This won't be my first hookah so I think I'm going to dig up some deals on KMs after all.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:19 PM
george
Hookah Newbie

good choice. because if you get something to hold you off now, you will still want a KM and keep coming back to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm no beginner to hookah smoking. I grew up in Dubai and have been smoking the damn things since 9th grade. This won't be my first hookah so I think I'm going to dig up some deals on KMs after all.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I got a MYA and i would still recommend a KM even tho i dont have one they smoke better and will last you longer
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

i havent gone to see if he still has it, but john at ************* had a "KM Ice" which i slike a smaler chiller..... i wants it so bad... maybe go with that.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
hookahplayer21
Hookah Nut

I just bought a Nour Syrian and it smokes like a champ. Thats what I would recommend. Although you can get a bambino for like $46, heard they smoke pretty good.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
tempest
Hookah Newbie

I think I've found the hookah for me: http://www.*************.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=413{6}28{3}28&osCsid= d08f4b3bcf54249dab8ad0ab2b6fa08f

With the 10% discount and some parental funding, this fits neatly in my new budget.

Another question for the pros, is the stock hose good or should I consider getting another?
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
I think I've found the hookah for me: http://www.*************.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=413{6}28{3}28&osCsid= d08f4b3bcf54249dab8ad0ab2b6fa08f

With the 10% discount and some parental funding, this fits neatly in my new budget.

Another question for the pros, is the stock hose good or should I consider getting another?
The discounted Razan would be well worth it either way. You definitely won't be sorry if you get it.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
dragonman586
Hookah Pro

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acrylic-One-Hose...3286.m20.l1116

Before we get started let me tell you I have a KM and I love it to death. But the pipe in the link is great. I own one as well and the pull is real easy (Km beats it though). The one in the link is solid brass so you can't rust it. It is a great pipe smokes like a champ and it will only cost you $25shipped so you have plenty of money for shisha. My KM easily beats the MYA in the link but the Mya is still a great pipe and its winning aspect is its portability!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook