Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Boston Smoke Ban

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Default Boston Smoke Ban

I hope this dosen't affect anyone on the fourm

The Boston Public Health Commission is scheduled to vote soon on expanded smoking restrictions that would be among the toughest in the US.
The proposal would ban cigar bars and hookah bars, which currently enjoy exemptions from Boston's four-year-old workplace smoking ban. It would also eliminate sales of tobacco in pharmacies and on college campuses.
The commission gave preliminary approval to the rules in September, and is scheduled for a final vote Thursday.
Boston would be the largest US city, by far, to outlaw smoking bars.
Roger Swartz, director of the community initiatives bureau at the Boston Public Health Commission, said the dangers of tobacco are so great, significant steps are needed to protect public health.
"Regulations based on data are not done just to kind of hassle people," he said.
"For a product like tobacco ... even if someone was doing it voluntarily, there is no safe exposure level."
Right now, there are no state bans on smoking bars; 52 communities nationwide have bans that include private clubs and cigar bars, according to Americans for Nonsmokers Rights.
Fort Wayne, Indiana, is among the largest communities with such a ban, and smaller cities in Massachusetts also have it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...Du4he6lbVdkLhQ
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
youngchris978
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to youngchris978
Default Re: Boston Smoke Ban

dam that sucks luckily i live in lawrence about 45 minutes away but we barly have hookah bars around the state..theres one like 10 minutes from my house but its garbage
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Biloshambles
Hookah Nut

I really don't understand these anti-smoking zealots-excuse me, anti-smoking Nazis. I personally have never smoked cigarettes or cigars (only hookah), but, I mean, if an establishment is specifically tailored to cigars or hookah, then why enact a ban?! No one is forced to work in these establishment and no one is forced to enter either.
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloshambles View Post
I really don't understand these anti-smoking zealots-excuse me, anti-smoking Nazis. I personally have never smoked cigarettes or cigars (only hookah), but, I mean, if an establishment is specifically tailored to cigars or hookah, then why enact a ban?! No one is forced to work in these establishment and no one is forced to enter either.
Exactly my thoughts, no one is forced to go into these bars, they don't even have to smoke once they get in And i doubt anyone will get lung cancer just by walking by the establishments so why hate on the smokers?
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

God damn it...
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

this is so stupid, its the whole protect the people from them selves, while i am a "liberal" or a "democrat" i think this stuff is pure bull shit for lack of a better term. if a building is designated as a smoking place and that is its only purpose than it is not making any one be around smoke who does not wish to be.

i remember some one recently said how a guy that owned a lounge got around it where he was, they smoked out side and then when they needed more space the inside was a "a private smoking club" the cost to join was the same as one hookah session and you got a free one when you joined.

im ok with outlawing smoking in restaurants, maybe in bars (kinda stupid but ok ) but shutting down businesses whos sole purpose is tobacco and has people smoking inside is retarded. next we are going to get the whole "you cannot smoke indoors any where) if its my property they can screw off.

and really not selling tobacco around college campuses, come on if people want to smoke they have the damn right to, they are adults and can do what they want

can we split the country up into the 6-7 countries that it should be split into already

fu**in' retaaaarted </ annoying boston accent>

-matt

Last edited by mattathayde; December 7th, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM
phatpride1
Hookah Pro

well chicago has the smoking band, but this are still hookah bars and cigar bar everywhere. So idk that is a bit disturbing that the government is tell you what you can and can't do with your free time.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

It's so good to know that all of life's social ills have been cured in Boston!
No more murder, rape, drive-by shootings, burglaries, d.u.i.'s, gangland/drug violence or mob extortion!
Now, only one thing keeps Boston from being a veritable utopia!

Those g**d**n SMOKERS!

Old December 7th, 2008, 03:35 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

not gonna happen.

It would also eliminate sales of tobacco in pharmacies and on "college campuses".
Good luck haha.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:09 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

next things to be outlawed:
driving: pollution and car crashes are detriments to the enviornment and cause many deaths a year, respectively

dancing: over exertion can be harmful

coughing: spreads sickness

computer usage: encourages inactivity.

where does it all stop?
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

you know kids cannot run on play rounds some places, and a lot more places they cant play tag because the fat kids are always it... no the fat kids will run more and get in better shape so they are no longer the fat kids, this way all the kids get fat

-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
you know kids cannot run on play rounds some places, and a lot more places they cant play tag because the fat kids are always it... no the fat kids will run more and get in better shape so they are no longer the fat kids, this way all the kids get fat

-matt
well at least if EVERYONE is fat, it promotes equality, therefore the "fat" kids won't get picked on cause they're ALL fat!
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

ya then we end up like society in wall-e

-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

This is getting ridiculous. Now you can't smoke tobacco in tobacco Bars?

I think We The People need to take matters into our own hands. This is the reason the Forefathers gave us the right to bear arms.

After-all, Ben Franklin loved himself a good brew and a great Pipe Tobacco, maybe we should do it for him.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
This is getting ridiculous. Now you can't smoke tobacco in tobacco Bars?

I think We The People need to take matters into our own hands. This is the reason the Forefathers gave us the right to bear arms.

After-all, Ben Franklin loved himself a good brew and a great Pipe Tobacco, maybe we should do it for him.
well, idk if this is the reason but we will let that go (now again yes i am a "liberal" but im from va which means "balance my budget and give me my guns") i want regulation on things that matter but if i am out with a group of people that would like to smoke in an enclosed space then we should have a right to

-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Just because the Constitution doesn't give us the "Right to Smoke" doesn't mean that it is a right. If people were dying left and right of Lung Cancer and Throat infection who don't smoke, I would understand this.

Wow, maybe these smoking bans have something to do with Global Warming..

I am also surprised my state, the most Conservative of the Conservatives, hasn't proposed one of these yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. I have no problem running a little Speakeasy though...

All we need is a little organized crime involving tobacco and the laws will be taken away, where's Capone when you need him? Damn syphilis...
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Just because the Constitution doesn't give us the "Right to Smoke" doesn't mean that it is a right. If people were dying left and right of Lung Cancer and Throat infection who don't smoke, I would understand this.

Wow, maybe these smoking bans have something to do with Global Warming..

I am also surprised my state, the most Conservative of the Conservatives, hasn't proposed one of these yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. I have no problem running a little Speakeasy though...

All we need is a little organized crime involving tobacco and the laws will be taken away, where's Capone when you need him? Damn syphilis...
lol, ya once it goes underground and the govt cant tax it they will be pissed, same thing with the alcohol (it was a fuel at first but once they made it illegal to make a lot of it then it fell of since you had to buy it instead of make it for your car)

-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:50 PM
speel
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to speel

If 90% of your revenue comes from smoking then the ban should be lifted. Thats how it should be done.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by speel View Post
If 90% of your revenue comes from smoking then the ban should be lifted. Thats how it should be done.
hell if any part of your business comes from smoking it should be allowed, that lets basically only hookah,cigar, etc lounges survive and ban it all other places
-matt
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
GuardianOfFreyj
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to GuardianOfFreyj Send a message via Yahoo to GuardianOfFreyj

Zen, what state would that be? I tend to think the states that are most conservative are (like my state of Georgia) in the south, and are probably some of the heaviest smoking states in the nation.

This is why I have some strong libertarian tendencies. Quite frankly, the logic here is saying "We know what's good for you better than you do." Since the only people affected by the smoke are those choosing to smoke in these establishments (As opposed to diners in restaurants), and I highly doubt any non-smokers would be applying for jobs in these places, I don't see where the government has a right to step in. Personally, I think if this goes through the owners of those establishments in Boston should file a class action lawsuit against the city for depriving them of their livelihoods and considerable investments. This falls into the category of, yes my right to swing my fist ends where someone else's nose begins, but if I want to beat the hell out of myself, no one has a right to stop me damnit.

Edit: OOOOH GET THIS! *insert expletives of your choice here* From MyFoxBoston

If the expanded ban passes, the tobacco sales bans on campuses and pharmacies would go into effect in 60 days. Since the smoking bars have five years to shut down, that could leave time for compromise. Mayor Tom Menino supports the expanded ban because of a commitment to stopping youth smoking, said spokesman Nick Martin. But Menino is open to compromise with the city's six cigar bars because they're neighborhood businesses and attract an older audience than the hookah bars, Martin said.

Swartz said the unexpected rise in license requests for the hookah bars was a major reason the city moved to lift the exemption for smoking bars. Just one hookah bar was licensed when the smoking ban went into effect in 2004, but now five hookah bars have permits. The bars are popular near college campuses, and offer tobacco in various flavors, including watermelon and chocolate chip. People use a hookah pipe -- common in Asia and Africa -- to inhale smoke filtered through water.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=3.2.1

This whole thing is being heavily supported by "Americans for Nonsmoker's Rights." I have a question. What about the rights of smokers?

I forget who said it or what the exact quote is (If someone knows or could find it, I'd be greatly appreciative) but this reminds me of something to the effect of "The rights of the few being crushed by the will of many." Now, I'm not saying this will cause something on the scale of the deprivation of rights of the Holocaust, but I think taking away the rights of a minority (smokers, who I'm not entirely sure are a minority by too much) in their own places to appease the will of the many who are not affected by the minority's actions is a DANGEROUS slope to step upon.

Last edited by GuardianOfFreyj; December 9th, 2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Addition of info
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

well, im never going to boston...
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM
kaastang
Hookah Newbie

I think there's only one in boston lol....

good news is they wont shut it down for another 5 years.

its like a monopoly hahaa.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

neeeeecccrrrrroooooooooooo.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaastang View Post
I think there's only one in boston lol....

good news is they wont shut it down for another 5 years.

its like a monopoly hahaa.
One what? There are a lot of hookah bars actually as well as smoking clubs that have hookah.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

va put in a ban the other day but it allows places that have a separate room with their own air system or a place that is designated for it... so hookah bars and cigar lounges are perfectly fine

-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook