Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How do you make a perfect Hookah head? I can't do it!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Freebeer187
Hookah Newbie

Default How do you make a perfect Hookah head? I can't do it!

This is my hookah:

I cannot figure out a good way to keep a smooth, full smoke.

I am using layalina tobacco and three king cole.

This is my procedure before smoking the hookah:

*Clean (very well) the hookah. Especially the hose
*Place tobacco in the hookah head. I will make a flat, even surface of tobacco. The bottom half of the head is the tobacco and the other half is empty. I do sometimes lightly pack the tobacco down, but just enough to make an even layer.

I will take some everyday aluminum foil and tightly wrap the head in it. I will take a thumb tack and make basically a line of small holes running up and down. I would say it looks like two X's (one going vertical and one horizontal).

The only way I can get a good full smoke is to put allot of tabacco in the head. The problem with this is the top layer will be burnt to a crisp (making the hookah very harsh and not enjoyable) after about 15 minutes. In the end i end up wasting 70% of the tobacco. The top layer is burn and the bottom is fine.

The other option is to put a little less than half full of tobacco. This will give a lite smoke that does not really do much. It does not burn though.

I use one coal at a time. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: How do you make a perfect Hookah head? I can't do it!

i personally have not had good luck with the mya bowls but what i would try is packing it a little firmer, make sure there is a small gap below the foil (i some times go 1/8th of an inch some times a touch more). the put a good amount of holes. i would put a ring of toothpick sized holes around the out side about 12-16 holes then a ring of about 6-8 and then one smaller on in the center.

make sure you move the coal around and ash it every 10-15 mins at most.

are you using normal foil or heavy duty, if its the regular try 2 layers or switching to heavy duty
-matt
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

basically what i was going to say, except one more thing if you can get a hold of, get nateral coals better to manage heat with.
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE

Old December 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

I use all mya's in my cafe... this is what you can do... pack your bowl... make sure its not too tight... use a metal screen... tin foil is nice but for some reason mya bowl dont get good heat management from tin foil... by a metal screen... then light 2 33m kings put on top and start smoking...it will take a good minute before it all lights up.... o btw make sure u leave about a 1/4 inch gap between the tobacco and the screen (or foil) so the tobacco doesnt burn.... and another cool things about the metal screens is that you can stir your tobacco when it seems to be losing flavor... heres the link for the metal screens i hope it works.... PM me if you have anymore problems... i am a big fan of mya's and will do anything to make sure they work... 9 times out of 10 its a heat management problems that doesnt make them smoke real good...

-Matt
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

sorry but if i stepped into a lounge and saw a screen i'd run for the hills lol. I get excellent smoke from my QT and haven't burned it once. you just need to pack the bowl right, poke 3 rings of holes(personal preference, never fails), and use the right amount of heat....this goes for any bowl.

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Freebeer187
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for all the quick info!

I excited to try some new methods.

First im going to try filling the head with more tobacco (not packed)

Then I will use two coals. I will add a little extra holes (not too much)

I will let the coals sit on the head for about 5 minutes before smoking it.

Only thing I am worried about is the top burning... I can seem to get past that problem. I have been to hookah lounges and there hookahs will keep giving all night. My hookah at home will be harsh and burnt after one coal is finished (sometimes even sooner) The bottom is always fresh too. >:| I ensure that no tobacco is touching the foil also...

I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again!
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Freebeer187
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
sorry but if i stepped into a lounge and saw a screen i'd run for the hills lol. I get excellent smoke from my QT and haven't burned it once. you just need to pack the bowl right, poke 3 rings of holes(personal preference, never fails), and use the right amount of heat....this goes for any bowl.
Use only 3 Rings of holes?
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Why is that.... lol I have used screens most of my "smoking life"...even my friends and father use a screen lol... i never need to worry about making sure my tin foil is on tight and all that... I'm just wondering?

Last edited by wonderland; December 21st, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

why? because screens just straight up suck. the holes are way too big and ash can get in there and screw up the flavor. I hope you don't use QL's at that lounge either lol

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
why? because screens just straight up suck. the holes are way too big and ash can get in there and screw up the flavor. I hope you don't use QL's at that lounge either lol
Now I may use screens but i dont junk for charcoal... we have natual wood and the natual exoticas.... personally like the exoticas the best although cocos are good from time to time...
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

hey how do you clean your hose? i don't think that one is washable, but i could be wrong
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

yeah thats another thing. that hose isn't washable. be on the lookout for a new one because thats gonna rust fairly soon if it hasnt started already.

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronSA View Post
hey how do you clean your hose? i don't think that one is washable, but i could be wrong
air compressor (:

Here's what you can do, put the shisha in the bowl so it's JUST below the surface where the tin foil would be, so there's like 1/8 of an inch between the shisha and the foil, that should make it so there's no burning. Just enough so it's close to the foil as possible without touching it at all. If you find it's still burning even without the shisha touching the foil, try putting two layers of heavy duty foil. make sure the foil is wrapped tightly around the bowl also so it doesn't sag down and wind up burning the tobacco.

using two layers of foil makes it so it takes a few more puffs to start getting maximum smoke out of it, but you'll find the session a lot more enjoyable once it starts going.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook