Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Absinth Flavour?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
ArtemK
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to ArtemK
Question Absinth Flavour?

Hi, really like smokeing hookah, so I was wondering whether its is possible to somehow synthesize absinth flavour? I tryed combinations of double aple, licorice and absinthe in the base(and many many others), but never got a proper absinth taste... any sugestions anyone?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default Re: Absinth Flavour?

touchy subject here in the states since we are only allowed to drink refined absinthe cause wormwood makes us crazy.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

i dont think you can get a real absinth flavor. i never smoked a liqueur flavor, what really tasted like alcohol. and there is no good red bull flavor. so i dont think you will get the absinth as tobacco
absinth is for drinking!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
southernshisha
Hookah Newbie

u take a mouthful of absinth and then take a hit of licorice
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
ArtemK
Hookah Newbie

I like the last post )))) Well, yes, sorry, forgot about the absinthe being illegal in states... Just so you know, Absinthe contains thuojune, which is an absolute tabu, due to fda... However in quality absinthe the amount of such is insignificant, in europe they managed to sort things out, so that only qualitative products end up on the market... Back to topic... I wrote in some topic here, about samuca flavor... Does work quite well, with sambuca-water mix in base and nakhla double-apple and af licorice in the bowl... But as a general rule, alcohol flavours is best achieved with alkohol in the base ))

Last edited by ArtemK; December 23rd, 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Project Omega
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Project Omega Send a message via MSN to Project Omega Send a message via Skype™ to Project Omega
Thumbs up Re: Absinth Flavour?

Absinthe was re-legalized for distillation late last year (Source)

There are three main herbs that make up Absinthe: wormwood, green anise, and florence fennel (although there are various other recipes for the stuff, I think this would be the closest to the original).

You can try making a tea of fennel and anise. Star anise would probably work just as well is regular anise isn't available or more expensive by comparison. By boiling those two herbs in water you can make them release their aroma into the water. Since you're probably not gonna drink it (it would be rather bitter) you can let it steep for a while to get very aromatic; you can always dillute it later if it's too strong by adding more water. Strain out the plant material and then let the tea cool down; a few hours in the fridge should get it to a "hookah ready" temperature. Be sure to stir it vigourously after though because sitting in your fridge for that long would probably cause any particulate matter that was floating around to settle to the bottom of the container.

Adding a shot or two of either Absinthe or even Jägermeister or Sambuca (they all have that anise flavor) will probably make it further stand out.

Can't hurt to experiment.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

You can also buy Wormwood from many fresh botanical online sources, which I won't list here because they contain a certain herb that is not OK to discuss here.

But you can buy a straight licorice flavor, and maybe add that to something like a Cardamom shisha.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemK View Post
I like the last post )))) Well, yes, sorry, forgot about the absinthe being illegal in states... Just so you know, Absinthe contains thuojune, which is an absolute tabu, due to fda... However in quality absinthe the amount of such is insignificant, in europe they managed to sort things out, so that only qualitative products end up on the market... Back to topic... I wrote in some topic here, about samuca flavor... Does work quite well, with sambuca-water mix in base and nakhla double-apple and af licorice in the bowl... But as a general rule, alcohol flavours is best achieved with alkohol in the base ))
Absinthe is legal here in the states. In fact, there are several producers here making the real stuff.
As to the thujone, there has never been enough in absinthe to have an effect. The alcohol will kill you before you get stoned. Besides, chemical analysis on pre-ban absinthe has shown that most of them would pass under current FDA regs (less than 10ppm thujone).

Read through these:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index...104&Itemid=215

Those brands over in Europe that tout thujone levels are almost all out of the Czek Republic and are nothing like traditional absinthe.

Absinthe Buyer's Guide:

http://www.feeverte.net/guide/

Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

i dont know about the legality here in Germany But you can get it in stores here (but its expensive: at least 30€ / 1l). If we buy absinth, we buy it in the czech republic (since the border is just 15km away from my doorstep ). i dont know, if the stuff there is different. but it would be interesting to know about it ...
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Somebody gave me a bottle of this stuff a few years ago -- according to the guide I guess its pretty good stuff. I might have to crack this one for New Year's

If you think about it, Drinking Absinthe and Smoking Hookah do have some similarities; ritualistic preparation, avant garde, rich history, etc.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
ArtemK
Hookah Newbie

OK!!!!!! IMPORTANT!!!! Thujone IS NOT BY ANY MEANS RELATED TO TETRAHYDROCANNABINOl!!! it is not a mind altering substance!!! Absinthe is perfectly legal in germany! In US there is a drink called Lucid, this however has thujone filtered out, and in my opinion looses some of its great flavor.... However i would like to try the tea idea, thought it is too much work for a smoking session... As to whats best, I by the Mansinthe brand.... Brewed in swizerland and is owned by Marilyn Manson )))... Anyway, I guess, the flavour cant be "synthesized" in a hookah... Thought, absinthe goes well with hookah as a drink, but dont forget to have some green tea on the side as green tea neutralizes the taste rezeptors, so you can taste the hookah to the fullest...

Ps: Absinthe is not drunk in shots, it is NEVER set on fire, quality absinth IS DRUNK WITH NO SUGAR ADDEd, just diluted...
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
ArtemK
Hookah Newbie

Anyway, I don't drink much alkohol, the only one I consume is Absinthe, so I gues, I will be sticking to regular fruit and spice hookah flavours...
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
uglybiker

Lucid is distilled at the Combier distillery in Saumur, France. Home of the original Triple Sec and the Jade line of Absinthe. Where it lacks in flavor is due to lower quality ingredients of the more premium brands (quantity over quality). It's not bad, though. It, along with Kübler 53 are good absinthes to try for a first timer. Then they can decide if they want to progress to more interesting fare like Duplais, Belle Amie or la Clandestine.

I haven't tried the Mansinthe yet, but I hear it's pretty good.

Right now I have a package with la Clandestine, Duplais and Vieux Pontarlier coming for me. The only problem is that it's coming FedEx.

And we all know how f***ed up FedEx can be.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
uglybiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvic View Post
Somebody gave me a bottle of this stuff a few years ago --
Damn! I wish I had friends like that!

Quote:
If you think about it, Drinking Absinthe and Smoking Hookah do have some similarities; ritualistic preparation, avant garde, rich history, etc.
No arguments here! In fact, now that I'm home from work, I think I'll fix and absinthe and a bowl of unflavored Salloum and relax.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Anyway, I don't drink much alkohol, the only one I consume is Absinthe, so I gues, I will be sticking to regular fruit and spice hookah flavours...
dont you drink vodka as a russian? there are many russian people in the region i live in (have some russian-germans as friends) and they dring vodka alltime
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
ArtemK
Hookah Newbie

Ha! Yeah, but vodka isn't drunk like if it would be beer, and our lifes a neverending october-fest ))) yes, on family/friend/any-other-big ocasions, surely I do... but generaly vodka is drunk during russian partys often refered to as "Застолье", ask any of your russian friends about it, theyll would explain it...
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
vegasvic
Hookah Nut

Quote:
"Застолье", ask any of your russian friends about it, theyll would explain it...
I dig the whole russian vodka toasting/drinking thing, and I do have some Russian friends -- are you talking about "zakusyvayesh"? (not sure, but I think that is correct). Typically, I get a few different bottles of good vodka freezing cold (so that they are viscous) which are consumed in shots preceded by a toast and followed by small appetizers all designed to prolong your drinking session.

To me, Christmastime is vodka season. My favorites are Stolichnaya (classic Russian), Hangar One (the best fruit-infused vodkas anywhere), and Chopin (potato-based, oily, thick). Zubrowka (Polish Bison Grass vodka) which, until recently, was sort of the Absinthe of Vodka (e.g., was not available in the USA) is also quite good, but something of an acquired taste.

Hmmm, now I'm getting thirsty...
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:51 PM
pswami
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I dig the whole russian vodka toasting/drinking thing, and I do have some Russian friends -- are you talking about "zakusyvayesh"? (not sure, but I think that is correct). Typically, I get a few different bottles of good vodka freezing cold (so that they are viscous) which are consumed in shots preceded by a toast and followed by small appetizers all designed to prolong your drinking session.

To me, Christmastime is vodka season. My favorites are Stolichnaya (classic Russian), Hangar One (the best fruit-infused vodkas anywhere), and Chopin (potato-based, oily, thick). Zubrowka (Polish Bison Grass vodka) which, until recently, was sort of the Absinthe of Vodka (e.g., was not available in the USA) is also quite good, but something of an acquired taste.

Hmmm, now I'm getting thirsty...
I love Chopin. Without a doubt my favorite vodka, and the only one I've really enjoyed on rocks. I'm more of a gin or scotch guy, but Chopin is great stuff.
Old December 25th, 2008, 05:45 AM
ArtemK
Hookah Newbie

Yeah, "zakusivaesh" means "are you eating (the small stuff like pickles, shrimp, etc)" when drink vodka you have some snacks to eat before and after the shot, their usualy quite slaty and fat, so the alkohol is neutrolizes, and also your stomach will be coated with fat, so you wont get drunk fast... ))
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook