Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny side down?

Hookah Discussion

View Poll Results: Foil. Shiny Side Up, or, Shiny Side Down?
Up 2 4.17%
Down 46 95.83%
I Don't Use Foil 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share

Old September 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog
Default When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny side down?

I'm just trying to get everyone's opinion about which way they place their foil. Tell me which way, and why. I started this topic because I seen videos where people say it doesn't matter wich way you put the foil.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC
Default Re: When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny side down?

SHiny side down.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Re: When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny side down?

Shiny down! It keeps the heat in there better that way.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

X1 From my understanding if you place shiny side up it will reflect some of the heat produced by the coal. Shiny side down.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I typically place it shiney side down. At first the reason was because I saw a video and read a discussion about the alumimuin itself being bad and the shiny side contining less "addatives", thus the heat would be further away and when heated, wouldn't release bad stuff into the shisha.

Now, I don't think that is a truely valid statement (although it may contain some truth). I place the "shiney side down" becasue I have tested it - the heat management does seem to be easier. Thus, as Dunkel (and others have/will) state, it seems to reflect heat back down into the bowl better. It also does help slightly with "burning" of the shisha - it seems to burn slower and doesn't often burn/boil up thru the holes as often if it is shiney side down.

Also one small minor thing I observed during my testing also tips my hand to the "shiney side down". I notced the coals bounced more on the shiney side than on the matt side - the surface may be smoother and isn't providing the small amount of surface tension that prevents the coal bounce. But... this is a small item. The coals will still bounce on the matt side, but i did notice it more often (and with all my hookahs) than on the matt side up.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Shiny Side Down ...

Although, I should note, that lately I have been using Reynolds Wrappables, which have a textured matte finish on both sides. I am really liking this foil ... and you can get it at Dollar General for $1

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Shiny side ALWAYS goes down, never seen anyone do it in any other way. I will try that tonite in one of my session. I'll post my results after the experiment.
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
spongebob
Hookah Newbie

i put the shiny side down cz that is how i was taught. i dont know why but i think it hold s the heat in better
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I use the reynolds wrap. both sides are matte and textured like sam said. I don't have a choice

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny side d

as people have said many times over yeah its shiny side down. keeps the heat in on your foil
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I put the shiny side down...but I used to put the shiny side up when I bought a pack of Social Smoke Hookah Foils...and I can honestly say that I don't remeber there ever being a difference in taste or heat....I don't think it really matters, the foil itself is so thin, that it wouldn't matter what side you put the coal on....the heat will still get through it just as good...(this is just my opinion)
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny side d

the shiny side does reflect heat but its so low of a difference between the both you cant tell the difference without some equipment. i dont know about you but i think shiny side up just looks cooler
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
sabsz
Hookah Pro

Um I fold a peice in half so it makes a square so there is shiny one both sides, im not sure if this method is good or not though but I do it anyways. Tell me if this is bad actaully.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:18 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsz
Um I fold a peice in half so it makes a square so there is shiny one both sides, im not sure if this method is good or not though but I do it anyways. Tell me if this is bad actaully.
It shouldn't be bad just as long as the foil is covering the entire top of the bowl...the way you're doing it, would be no different than two pieces of foil on top of each other(and that works good too)...
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:49 PM
smoke-all-day
Hookah Pro

same as cooking potatoes or those campfire dinners where you wrap your meat and veggies in foil. shiny side inside
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:17 AM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

Fold the foil in half, with the shiny side inside
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Jubs
Hookah Newbie

I always put it down but I never really put any thought into to it
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
Shiny Side Down ...

Although, I should note, that lately I have been using Reynolds Wrappables, which have a textured matte finish on both sides. I am really liking this foil ... and you can get it at Dollar General for $1
I got some of those wrappables and they work great. 25 sheets to a box. I tear my sheets into four pieces. That makes 100 pieces of foil for a buck. I noticed that both sides are textured, but one has more of a shine to it, so I put that side down.
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

Again, I asked our food technologists at work if this matters when baking food. They said that in fact, it does not. Its a modern day old wives' tale.
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmaddog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka
Shiny Side Down ...

I got some of those wrappables and they work great. 25 sheets to a box. I tear my sheets into four pieces. That makes 100 pieces of foil for a buck. I noticed that both sides are textured, but one has more of a shine to it, so I put that side down.
Cool, glad to hear it! Yeah, I wouldn't steer ya wrong that foil works great! I hope they keep making it!
... and you definitely can't beat the price! $1

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:46 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I use heavy Duty reynolds wrap with the shiny side down EVERYTIME. I have never done it except for once with the shiny side up, and that wasn't on purpose.
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Dr. Atkins
Hookah Newbie

It really shouldn't matter. The main source of the heat generated by the coals is chemical energy, not electromagnetic radiation, which would be the one to reflect off the shiny side.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
YA-MEZ
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to YA-MEZ
Default Re: When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Shiny Side Down ...

yeah...a dollar...thats why they call it DOLLAR general...lol just messin :P
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
c000weee
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to c000weee Send a message via Yahoo to c000weee
Default Re: When placing foil on your bowl. Do you put it shiny side up, or shiny s

Because DMC says so.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:48 PM
drewskadoo
Hookah Nut

REMEMBER SHINY SIDE DOWN SHINY SIDE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook