Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Curious...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 12th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Jubs
Hookah Newbie

Default Curious...

I was just curious what kind of things you do to save time or to make setup or whatever easier for your smoking sessions.

I personally use those disposable plastic gloves that they use at like Subway to make your sandwich when I am breaking coals and/or packing a bowl.

I am on crutches cause I have bad knees and a bad back so getting up to wash my hands is pretty pointless. I would get everything on the way to the kitchen dirty. Before I found the gloves at the Dollar Tree ( 100 gloves for $1 ) I was using a damp washrag or moist wipes. I have found the gloves to be the easiest though. I still use them to clean off the area where I am smoking as the quick light coals like to pop and crackle little pieces of black dust everywhere.
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:08 AM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: Curious...

when it comes out soon i will begin to use the pre-holed foil to use to save time.
the gloves are not a bad idea really but i hate to throw away stuff, personally i try to squeegee as much as possible into the bowl and whatever is left i either wipe off our lick it off my fingers.
i plan to get a shishavac in the future from PYH to make cleanup and lighting natural coals MUCH easier.
never will use a QL again though, people say they cant taste them much but they are horrible i say personally
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Pbpredator
Hookah Nut

Gloves are a good thing... especially when using laya, and starbuzz... they always dye my fingers, red or whatever other color starbuzz is... especially chocolate mint... my boss is always asking why my hands are green, and what not....

i havent heard of the pre-punched foil but hey i would definately look into that when it comes out... but also there is already healthy aluminum chips, i recieved a few of them with my hookah when i purchased it from ioann they were awesome! i should definately look into buying some more of them...
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I dont believe that pre-punched foil will save you much time.
Anw, I enjoy the setting-up procedure so i only to the things in order..
Fill the vase and put the hose in the fridge,
Put coal on stove at midium heat.
Pack my bowl carefully.
Put the foil on an make the holes.
Turn the coal for even lighting.
I also usually the stem with water or vinegar.
set the hookah up.
Put the coal on and draw hard to get it started

Usually takes me 10 mins to set up
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I keep an old kitchen towel nearby that I can use to wipe various messes (shisha juice, coal dust etc.) off my hands and the little wood table I use to hold my supplies during the session. I also use 2 aluminum pie plates during the session. 1 that I transport my hot coals from outside (for QL's) or the kitchen (for Exotica's). I also use the same pie plate for to ash my coals during my session. The second pie plate I use for junk produced during the session. Hot ash, straw pieces (from making the homemade diffuser), foil, used shisha, and I drown my coals in it. That way the ashtray on my hookah doesn't get to messed up. Makes clean up afterwards quicker and easier.

I also have all my supplies organized and next to my relaxing chair, so when it's time for a session everything is in easy reach.

I think the gloves are a good idea too.
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:13 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

when im setting it all up i cant help but think - if only i had just one more hand. most of the time i do everything randomly: what is closest, what i can grab in one trip, etc.
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:59 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I am super lazy when I set up my hookah. I have a wash cloth next to the hookah for cleaning hands, etc. I have a hot plate on my bookcase (yea super safe i know ) (ps... there aren't any books in this shelf lol) and bam i set up the hookah by plopping shisha in and spread it , poke about 25 holes in the foil, all of 5 seconds and bam. done and ready to put the coals on.

No going anywhere for me. It's ALLLLLL right there. it's all about location

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

KK packs a hookah way faster then me! and does a damn fine job! ZVT asked me, "Why does it take you 10 minutes and KK a minute or two!?" haha true statement

Anyhow, I think the shortcuts that would really help to speed it up for me, would be to teach ZVT how to set it up! Or go smoke at KKs

OK, OK, seriously ... I take my time, usually I setup in my kitchen in between the stove and the sink.
I throw the coals on the stove
Fill the base with water and ice
Pack my bowl
Flip the coals
Foil the bowl and poke holes
Assemble the hookah
Place coals in tray and go out to the living room where we smoke
Insert hose and place coals

My shortcuts is the area between the stove and sink, making cleanup easy and I also put a paper towl under the hookah, I later use this towel to clean my coffee table.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I have the art of hookah laziness down to a science I just wanna smoke lol

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Well, I do things methodically. I precut a bunch of foil in advance. I start the coals while I am packing the bowl. My wife brought home some plastic tongs from her work that are perfect for grabbing shisha and plopping it in the bowl. Everything stays pretty clean and orderly.
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

I just get everything together at my computer desk fill the vase first, then I pack the bowl put foil on top poke some holes assemble the hookah, then go outside to light my QL's. After that I just plop on the coal and surf the net while I smoke.
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer

yeah people havent seen the pre-holed foil on the market because its not out yet. it will be though
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:20 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

i seem to swing between the two extremes: lazyiness and true ritual It can either take me 5min till I smoke or almost 30 mins till I sit down and enjoy.

All depends mostly on if the hookahs are clean, there's water in the fridge, and I'm ONLY trying to smoke (which almost never happens) - I'm often doing nine things at a time.

Choose coals - place on stove and start cooking.
Pick hookah (if need be, clean hookah), fill base from fridge water (I never use tap temp water) place on table/slate tile w/ cork board.
Pick bowl. Pack bowl and cover, poke holes. Place on hookah.
Pick hose - blow or clean.
Fetch coal w/ brass *** - find the blinking windcover.
Sit down, remember tea, fetch tea, sit back down.
Place coal on bowl with windcover.
Try to smoke, get called away (or remember something in the other end of the apt) come back and finally smoke 5-15 mins later (praying shisha is heated and not burnt becasue you left the blinking windcover on).
Either sit back and enjoy the smoke.... or..... place on second packed bowl and try again, but refuse to move away from the hookah this time.

On a good day, the hookahs are clean - bowls ready, water in fridge and I'm too lazy for the stove and I have some QL's. (Which rarely every happens this way - life isn't that nice)

Snatch Hookah, shisha, foil, tongs and brass *** in 1 fell swoop.
Get water jug and cork board.
Plant person at table.
Light QL, fill base, assemble hookah.
Pack bowl, foil, drop coal and sit back and smoke.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:43 AM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

I don't think I have many shortcuts anymore. I like the ritualization of the hookah smoking.

I pack my bowl and place the foil on top. Poke holes while the vase is filling up with water in the sink. If I am using naturals, I start those before anything and if I am using quicklights, I light them after everything else is done. Then to play the waiting game while I make sure it is glowing red before dropping on my phunnel.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

i dont really use any shortcuts either.

First, no matter what shisha im using, i open and stir it for a good 5 min, then leave it open. I fill the vase with water and place the downstem in then put it in the fridge. then i'll put the coals on the stove and get them started. next, i'll pack the bowl and wash my hands(i do this in the kitchen as well). give the coals a flip. pull the hookah out of the fridge, put it all together, then pull the coals offa the stove and im good to go.
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

I don't do anything, I don't bother shortening the process, things are just is. If i shorten the process it will make me able to make an excuse to smoke more often, so I do everything to the fullest extent.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook