Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New hookah, i need help...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy New hookah, i need help...

I'm new to the forum as well as the art of smoking hookah.

I went to a few hookah bars around my campus with some of my friends and found it rather relaxing, but I quickly got tired of paying the high prices of the bars, so I wanted to do it my self. This guy out side one of the dorms was smoking a Mya QT with some pomegranet shisha, and it was amazing so thick and smoth and light, I loved it. So thats what got me started. I did some research and saw that a KM was probably the best hookah to get, but I wanted to start out small before i dropped that much cash ( im going to buy my self a KM for my b-day.....maybe), so i got one of those cheap little 10" pumpkin hookahs for $20. So i lit up my hookah it was decent but wasnt great, nothing like at the bars or that guys QT, so i started reading and trying new things but i keep getting this really harsh smoke or ashy tasting smoke, and it really sucks.

Heres my stuff right now:

-"10 pumpkin hookah w/ standard fake leather hose and small bowl
-vortex bowl
-some random QL's that came w/ my hookah
-some Akhla QL's
-Hookah Hookah Mango 50g
-Soex Mix berry 50g (didnt taste that bad, but not much flavor, came free)
-tongs
-metal screen ( I dont use it, I use Harris teeter heavduty foil)
-a Joker Hose (was on clearence for $3 at Sahra smoke)

So I guess do you have any suggestions to get a decent session out of my rig. I have a feeling if i bought better stuff it would help, but right now id rather not if at all possible......

any help would be great....
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
matt_attack757
Hookah Nut

Default Re: New hookah, i need help...

how r u packing the bowl
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
matt_attack757
Hookah Nut

u might be burning the shisha
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

Packing the bowl:

I'm sprinkling in the Shisha nice and light, to get air flow

for the stock bowl, just below the ridge

for the Vortex, level with the holes.

(i noticed the stock bowl works fine with 1 QL but the Vortex 1 wasn't enough, i didn't get any smoke so i put 2 on and it made smoke, but it sucked and i know its a great bowl so i know it must be the operator error)
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

I think i may have burnt it the first time because i may have over packed it, but idk about the rest of the times.... like tonight my rig was:

-10" pumpkin hookah
-joker hose
-vortex bowl
-2 Akhla Ql's split in half
-Hookah Hookah Mango
-vase filled with 50/50 mix of water and Dole 100% fruit juice, with the stem submerged about 1in

the shisha didnt look burnt tonight it was just really dry when i emptied the bowl....
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

try different hole patterns in the foil, you might be getting to little or to much airflow... bigger if you are using small holes or smaller if you are using big holes. plus keep the coals to the edges of the bowl so you dont burn. you should be able to get a good smoke out of that little hookah but it just takes some experimenting.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

hey if your foil has burnt tobacco stuck to it when you are done, you have too much tobacco.

if you arent getting enough flow, use more holes, or less tobacco or both....

sometimes placing extra holes where you are gonna put the coal will allow for more smoke to come out...

before experimenting too much, try a basic setup, perfect that, then add an accessory or something, use water at first not juice, make sure to keep cleaning your stuff, use the standard bowl, and you may want to switch to CH QL's or just some sort of natural coal, after a while then use the vortex, just so you learn how to maintain a hookah properly.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

I've been doing a circle pattern in the foil, three rings starting as close to the edge as i can, with small holes.

I think that would be a good idea, going back to the basics before i move on to fancy cool things...

I haven't experienced any shisha being stuck to the bottom of the foil yet... except that one time where I knew i burnt the shisha...

on the small bowl how much shisha should i pack?

and today was the first day with the Akhal Ql's they lit way faster than the other Ql's I had, but the reaked horribly and burned out faster...
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

Im not gonna lie, I dont like akhlas much. I use 3kings which alot of others hate on but when it comes down to it, they deliver heat and consistency. ******* Hookah QL's are supposed to be one of the best ql's available so maybe try them as well if you can. Ive just found 3k to be easier to find locally.
on the small bowl you dont need much. just enough to cover the bottom and keep it from touching the foil. as long as you arent packing it down it should be fine. make sure you arent ploppin clumps in there either. those dont tend to work to well..
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:31 AM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

the head shop off campus, only carries Hookah Hookah and Hookah Freak shisha and Rolland Ql's..... So I may have to live with the Akhals until Its time for some new Ql's and then I'll try some CH or 3K QL's..... also the akhals seem to ash alot and crumble like crazy....is this normal?

So tomorrow shall be the begging of many experiments:

my rig will be my stock 10" pumpkin, w/ stock bowl and hose
I'll be putting cold water into the vase so it cover 3/4in on the stem
and the packing the bowl lightly with some shisha and trying a new hole pattern for the foil.

now two questions:

1) i need more shisha, because im basiclly out, so Whats a good flavor from HH or HF (because its availabe local)?

2) how many coals do I need for 1 small bowl of HH or HF...... The coal's i have are essentially as big as the bowl it's self, so I've been using one with it ( but that was with the Soex shisha crap) and i tried breaking it in half but it seems to burn faster when broken in half......
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:41 AM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

if you can get HH Orange, its great. spearmint isnt bad either. HF = sahara mimosa is pretty crazy. like a citrus-y drink. There are some others but if i had to pick just one at this point it would be HH Orange, tastes like koolaid
and yes akhlas ash all crazy and what not. they suck. id probably try the rollands (ive never tried them.. but cant be much worse id think)
also try a spiral starting from the center. bigger holes on the center few and smaller as you get closer to the coals to keep ash out. its worked pretty well for me. might be worth trying.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:46 AM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

thanks for the hole tip and flavor suggestion, along with all the advice you've provided so far, I greatly appreciate it!

one last question before I hit the hay....

cleaning my hookah.....

all I do is break apart the hookah after each session and rise with hot water and soap and dry it, as for the hose i usually hold one end under the faucet while sucking on the other and then one the hose is full of water i blow it all out back into the sink....

how am i really suppose to clean my hookah?
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:54 AM
dragginskulls
Hookah Newbie

dont use soap for one.. itll get a funky taste in the thing. check this video out for a good how to..
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ils&videoid=30
I generally just rinse with warm/hot water each session and once a week or so get out the brush's and scrub it up
as for other flavors feel free to check out my reviews.. ive done a few so you should be able to pick one or two to try
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...er&userid=4113
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

the BEST advice i can give is to check out SamB's beginners video.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ails&videoid=1

I've been having wonderful sessions for over a year and I STILL refer to his video if things aren't going so hot.

And as far as holes go, i prefer greater quantity of tiny holes, than average amount of average holes.

and when using the stock, small bowl, you can try breaking them in half ((before lighting)) and placing them opposite each other on the bowl if it's too hot. But make sure that the coals aren't in the center of the bowl. Keeping them to the outside helps with heat management. maybe if you can make a video of you setting up and then post it up to be critiqued? it'd help us to help you
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Your hose is not washable, so putting water in it most likely ruined it. You should get another hose and just blow air through it to clean it or get a Razan or Nammor washable hose.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

I wouldn't have started that tiny, even for a personal hookah, don't waste your money on the cheep stuff, you'll just send up buy more cheep crap and being unsatisfied, and then wishing you had just bought the good stuff.
And the Joker Hose, there is a reason is was on clearance "Discounted" it was discounted because it has some inperfections, or even HOLES.
So check for holes in the hose, get em fixed up and your smoke will probably go better,
also make sure your checking for leeks before you smoke.
Then you should probably get a nice smoke out the little pumpkin hookah.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

omg you clean a Joker hose with water.....you should probably throw it out, you probably ruined your hose.
Like Dunkel said get yourself a Razan or Nammor, also Caravan or "Grand" hoses are good washable and great draw hoses.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

I didn't wash the Joker hose, only the little one that came with the pumpkin hookah. And I always check the hookah to make sure i have an airtight setup before i start smoking. I also checked the hose out before using it, there weren't any holes in it, it was a tad frayed but it looks fine.

I watched some videos on here last night on how to pack hookah hookah, and I guess I've been putting to much in, so I'm going to try it out tomorrow.Thanks CPill for the link to the video, that alone answered alot of my questions.

When I buy my KM i was going to pickup a washable Nammor.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

you're most welcome, but SamB deserves most of the credit. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check out JillyIsJustKidding's How-To, if you'd like another helpful video.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...ils&videoid=12

*edit* i find that videos help me the most when trying to re-create methods of establishing a hookah.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
D-Szlos
Hookah Pro

STAY AWAY FROM ROLLANDS! They tend to explode, smell like shit, and the smell does not go away. Plus they taste like straight sulfur. If i were you i would avoid them like the plauge.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

well thats good, I thought you had washed the Joker hose, must clarify next time hahaha.
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
sKu_nk
Hookah Newbie

I watched must of SamB's videos along with some other helpful videos, so I'm going to see how it goes now...

Thats why i bought the Akhla coals, because I've heard nothing but bad things about ROllands, I'm gonna try CH QL's once I run out....

I'm still new to the whole forum lay out, I'll try and be more clear next time...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook