Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Layout/Atmosphere for Hookah Bar?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 31st, 2009, 08:02 PM
KarmaHookah
Banned

Default Layout/Atmosphere for Hookah Bar?

What do you prefer when you go to a hookah bar? Do you like to sit in couches or chairs or up in bar style chairs and tables? Do you like middle eastern themes, or more modern?

The reason I am asking is I am trying to get some input to see what everyone likes so I can accommodate everyone.

Where would I get furniture for a business? I searched around online and did not find much.

Last edited by KarmaHookah; February 2nd, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:15 PM
FPSee
Banned

Default Re: Layout/Atmosphere for Hookah Bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaHookah View Post
What do you prefer when you go to a hookah bar? Do you like to sit in couches or chairs or up in bar style chairs and tables? Do you like middle eastern themes, or more modern?

The reason I am asking is I am trying to get some input to see what everyone likes so I can accommodate everyone.

Where would I get furniture for a business? I searched around online and did not find much.

I made a quick floor plan for a 2000sq ft building earlier, I like this layout but I am looking for opinions.

http://xs135.xs.to/xs135/09056/floorplankarma116.png
IMO, i really like couches because i can slouch and get more comfortable. Couches also give the place more of a "laid-back, chill" feeling to the atmosphere. You should have a combination of bar style high chairs, along with the couches.

as for the themes, I like it modern with dimmed lights with LED colored lights.

but again thats just my opinion on how i would like to go to a hookah bar/lounge.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Fall
Hookah Nut

First off, where do you plan on setting up shop? This size looks good for city or large suburban area, but it is quite big if the only thing you'll be selling is hookah. As for the theme do some research in the local malls and what not. Modern lounges are cool, but a middle eastern theme done well is amazing.

http://www.samahlounge.com/gallery.html

One of my favorite bars in Chicago, they serve Hummus and other little middle eastern snacks but the vibe in there is VERY chill and inviting. Privacy curtains rock, and when you have a waiter enter your own little area you feel like a true guest. The setup is elevated ground flooring as you can see with some large pillows to lie back on. It's really a matter of what market your going after.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM
petalfaery
Hookah Newbie

I wish we had hookah bars in the UK
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:15 AM
petalfaery
Hookah Newbie

I'll just have to turn a room of our house into a hookah bar
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:22 AM
rileynason
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to rileynason

you should divide that one room into 3 rooms!
one being Mideastern themed, one being kicked back maybe a big tv in there or something,
and one like night club stautis!!!
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
First off, where do you plan on setting up shop? This size looks good for city or large suburban area, but it is quite big if the only thing you'll be selling is hookah. As for the theme do some research in the local malls and what not. Modern lounges are cool, but a middle eastern theme done well is amazing.

One of my favorite bars in Chicago, they serve Hummus and other little middle eastern snacks but the vibe in there is VERY chill and inviting. Privacy curtains rock, and when you have a waiter enter your own little area you feel like a true guest. The setup is elevated ground flooring as you can see with some large pillows to lie back on. It's really a matter of what market your going after.
What a bar

The only bar i go to, is one that has a modern feeling about it, its got nice sofas where you can just lay back, it has pool tables, and a flat screen tv, so if any decent games are on we can play.

But this is a private club and aint allowed in the UK, so its undercover shhhh dont tell anyone
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
S4L
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by petalfaery View Post
I wish we had hookah bars in the UK
there are hookah bars in the UK lol quite a few actually they are just harder to find then in the US. where abouts do you live? i could recommend you some.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:15 AM
S4L
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelbadboy2006 View Post
What a bar

The only bar i go to, is one that has a modern feeling about it, its got nice sofas where you can just lay back, it has pool tables, and a flat screen tv, so if any decent games are on we can play.

But this is a private club and aint allowed in the UK, so its undercover shhhh dont tell anyone
haha i know a few like that aswell. out of all the shisha bars iv been to majlis in leicester is the best by far.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
petalfaery
Hookah Newbie

Patelbadboy2006 - We won't tell

Rileynason - good ideas, however, my room is quite small. I will consider your ideas when I move to my lovely big house in the country
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:19 AM
petalfaery
Hookah Newbie

We live in Kent. There used to be a Hookah bar in Canterbury, in a Moroccan restaurant there, with belly dancers too but they have had to close it because of the new regualtions
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
S4L
Hookah Nut

well i dont really know any in kent but if you go to london there are loads on edgware road. i know its a bit far, but there is a place in leicester called majlis. i know it is a bit far but it is so good that i would come all the way from kent just to go there.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

Quote:
We live in Kent. There used to be a Hookah bar in Canterbury, in a Moroccan restaurant there, with belly dancers too but they have had to close it because of the new regualtions
one of the best bars in london called halilanoes, actually they had the best atmospehere and shisha, closed odwn due to those damn regulations and it was right next to my uni in mile end
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:29 AM
petalfaery
Hookah Newbie

Are they not affected by the smoking ban? We went to Edgeware round about 10 months ago and there were hookah shops but no lounges/bars Maybe we just didn't look hard enough but I was under the impression that they had all closed because of the smoking ban.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

I've kind of been watching your posts a little. You are planning to go with mya hookah's so if you make it middle eastern themed they would look a bit out of place. Hookah is all about relaxing. Make it laid back and comfortable.
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Quote:
Are they not affected by the smoking ban? We went to Edgeware round about 10 months ago and there were hookah shops but no lounges/bars Maybe we just didn't look hard enough but I was under the impression that they had all closed because of the smoking ban.
Yh most have closed down, but i know a few in london that aren't bad, but none of them can make a hookah like me,
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
4D4M
Hookah Nut

yea thats good make sure you keep the theme arabian, bellydancers and stuff lol
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

I've changed your layout around, quite a lot actually, and have a few ideas for you.

The front seating area and bar give people a chance to get away from sitting right in the thick of a ton of smokers, in the event that, and some people will, really enjoy the atmosphere of the place, but just want lunch / coffee without being surrounded by hookahs.

Second, one private room with circular seating is a great way for regulars to get a sweet room to themselves if they've got a crowd of 6-10 people, and the other room can be the main smoking lounge.

Also, seperate bathrooms are good, because more than one person has to pee at the same time.
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
KarmaHookah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
I've changed your layout around, quite a lot actually, and have a few ideas for you.

The front seating area and bar give people a chance to get away from sitting right in the thick of a ton of smokers, in the event that, and some people will, really enjoy the atmosphere of the place, but just want lunch / coffee without being surrounded by hookahs.

Second, one private room with circular seating is a great way for regulars to get a sweet room to themselves if they've got a crowd of 6-10 people, and the other room can be the main smoking lounge.

Also, seperate bathrooms are good, because more than one person has to pee at the same time.
That is awesome, but how would I watch the closed off rooms? I just worry about some kid bringing in something illegal or alcohol and getting me fined or shut down!

I think I am going to need a larger space, I want to have at least 2-3 pool tables.
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
That is awesome, but how would I watch the closed off rooms? I just worry about some kid bringing in something illegal or alcohol and getting me fined or shut down!

I think I am going to need a larger space, I want to have at least 2-3 pool tables.
First off, the Private room thats circular is usually something reserved for people you know or repeat customers. one lounge I go to a lot has one and Its cool, they never have to worry about the people in there.

The other lounge has its door off the kitchen if you look, like a double swinging door, just toss some windows in the door or dont even have a door to the kitchen and you can watch both the front of the store and the side while people are working on food / hookahs.

As a rule of thumb, you need to ID check at the door, most stores that sell tobacco dont allow minors specifically for the reason of keeping alcohol in check and illegal stuff out. The place I mentioned earlier gives out medical arm bracelets like you'd have in a hospital to people over 21 so they can drink. No bracelet, no drink, and since they snap-lock you cant share them without cutting it.
If you want pool tables, thats your call, but putting parlor games and the like in your lounge is going to bring in a more riff-raff crowd thats likely to cause problems and damage property. Its not the case with everyone, but more often than not your pool tables will bring you trouble.

Last edited by HookahWaffle; February 1st, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
KarmaHookah
Banned

If I decide not to use pool tables, I could easily go with a smaller space, meaning I would not have to account for the pool sales since rent and other expenses would be lower.

I think I am going to ditch the pool table idea.

I really like the idea of the "VIP" room.
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
If I decide not to use pool tables, I could easily go with a smaller space, meaning I would not have to account for the pool sales since rent and other expenses would be lower.

I think I am going to ditch the pool table idea.

I really like the idea of the "VIP" room.

Glad I could help, hehe
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
KarmaHookah
Banned

I am going to make up a few different layouts depending on how I want to do this.
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i didnt read really well through it but i looked at the plans and all

to me the first one is too crowded, with how the seating is spaced so close between each other. the second is nice.

i love the idea of the vip room, but the pool tables are hit and miss, i like pool and all but idk it ends up being one other thing you have to deal with and all.

the one thing i didnt see mentioned is what the fire code of how many people you can have in the building is, that will be the biggest factor in how your seating needs to be.

the local lounge that i like has the couches set up more as u shapes where the bottom is against the wall so it is easier to get in and out.

personally im not a fan of the bar seating, but if you are serving alcohol it is ok but you need to leave a chair or 2 out on the end so your servers can pick up and return hookahs more easily. also you need to make sure you lay it all out so servers can get in easily with hookahs and what ever else you will be serving.

and a final thought is, while unlikely you should set it up so if everyone needs to get out due to an emergency it should be laid out so they can (this should also allow your servers get to the customers easily as well)
-matt
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM
knivesreturns
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post

how big is the lounge?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook