Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Thickest Smoke

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
nwHOOKAH
Hookah Newbie

Default Thickest Smoke

Hey first post here. I've been watching Sam's vids on youtube for quite some time now and thought I'd actually register for the forums. Anyway on to the topic at hand. Before I upgraded my hookah set-up from a really cheapo set-up I watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O7p...eature=related

And you can see my signature to see my set-up. I've been looking for the best shisha to get the thickest clouds. I normally set-up my KM Parad Ice with ice in the base and the ice catch. I also keep most of the hookah in a utility freezer. The idea is to get the coldest smoke possible for the thickest clouds and most enjoyable smoking. I've mostly been using Al Fakher but am looking for suggestions. I've also tried Fumari.

So far I've had some really really good results just looking for a good tobbaco to match the great hookah set-up I've got.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Re: Thickest Smoke

Low temperature does not really relate to thick smoke. It will, however, lead to a cool smoke, which is always good. Hookah smoke has nothing to do with water vapor, it's mostly comprised of vapor created from the combustion of glycerin.

AF, Tangiers, Fumari, Fantasia, SB, Nakhla all produce great clouds.. smoke density is mostly based on your set-up though (hole placement, bowl type, coal amount/type/management).
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
nwHOOKAH
Hookah Newbie

I guess that makes sense. I was using the knowledge that things with high temperatures expand because their electrons are more active and spread out where-as when things are cooled down they condense because the opposite is occurring.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Buddhizzle
Hookah Pro

work on finding the balance of how much heat you can have on the foil before it gets too harsh. More heat = more smoke, in my experience, though prepare to pay dearly everytime you cross the line and make it too hot. no amount of water can unharsh smoke
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
nwHOOKAH
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhizzle View Post
no amount of water can unharsh smoke
I definitely agree with that statement. I currently use three Coco Nara coals that I rotate about every 10 min. I use foil around the edges of the bowl and control the heat using that. Close off the foil for more heat and open up/remove the foil for less.
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Low temperature does not really relate to thick smoke.
I disagree. Like nwhookah said, cold molecules are closer together so if the smoke was cold it would be more dense.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookah-happy View Post
I disagree. Like nwhookah said, cold molecules are closer together so if the smoke was cold it would be more dense.
The stem, water, hose, etc. is never cold enough to chill the smoke like that. The smoke is super-heated when it comes from the bowl, and cools slightly when it is scattered into separate bubbles in the water (because it has such a tiny surface area), and then the bubbles surface and pop and are released into the vase where you pull them directly out. After a pull, the smoke sits in the bowl, stem, vase, hose port, and hose. It is not being moved, and the hookah is pulled on average every 10-20 seconds, which barely allows the smoke enough time to cool to such a temperature. The only place at which it could possible cool that much would be in the water, if the water was extremely chilled and the smoke was diffused into such tiny bubbles that it would be quickly, easily, and efficiently super-cooled.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

Have you ever put your face in smoke after you release it? It is considerably colder than room temperature. The colder something is the closer the molecules are together so it will be thicker. It may be a minute difference, but it is a difference nonetheless.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Guys, stop applying your chemical analysis to hookah tobacco .. I am sorry but I hate science
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

But it won't be cold enough to be noticeably thicker. It will feel cold, of course, but never blow your brains out density difference. Also, that is after it has been pulled all the way down your into your lungs and released, also spreading it's over-all surface area allowing it to be cooled very quickly in the air; it's definitely going to be colder than when you inhaled it.

I think what would really create extremely thick smoke would be a very high humidity.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:17 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

But it is colder than room temperature. Your body is hotter than room temperature. It couldn't cool beyond the temperature of it's container.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:21 AM
nwHOOKAH
Hookah Newbie

I do agree with zensilk to an extent. I understand that the difference won't be mind blowing. the ice catch keeps the stem cool. the longer the stem the more time the smoke has to cool down and this in concert with the very cold water can make large clouds. High heat to start with natural coals + windcover and a very cold setup can in fact equal much thicker smoke I've found. I bought the parad ice to test the difference and with the nammor hose (which has one of the largest pulls) I've had some giant clouds. The only thing that wasn't in my equation was the tobacco. I haven't tried many brands so that was the original point of the post, not science. I can't believe you hate science! ahah
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

It cools after it is released into the air from your mouth.

After being released, it is spread out very wide over a large area. Glycerin absorbs moisture from the air, and if the temperature of the air in the room is below your body temperature the smoke will always feel cool; because the moisture it has absorbed is near the same of the room temperature, which is a good 10-20 degrees below normal body temp.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM
blckngld760
Hookah Pro

try using starbuzz for thick clouds
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:31 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
It cools after it is released into the air from your mouth.

After being released, it is spread out very wide over a large area. Glycerin absorbs moisture from the air, and if the temperature of the air in the room is below your body temperature the smoke will always feel cool; because the moisture it has absorbed is near the same of the room temperature, which is a good 10-20 degrees below normal body temp.
For the smoke to feel cold it not only has to be colder than your body, but colder than room temperature. Otherwise it will feel the same as the air around you.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Have you ever felt water that has been sitting out in a room for a week? At first, it feels cool to the touch, until you get used to it; I wish I knew more about this certain occurrence, yet i don't. I could come up with random theories but I have no idea.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:39 AM
hookah-happy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Have you ever felt water that has been sitting out in a room for a week? At first, it feels cool to the touch, until you get used to it; I wish I knew more about this certain occurrence, yet i don't. I could come up with random theories but I have no idea.
Well, there's no point in arguing. We both have our minds made up. Hookah is enjoyable no matter the temperature of the water.

I think the clouds produced from AF are pretty good. I'm a bit of a fanboy though.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:41 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookah-happy View Post
Well, there's no point in arguing. We both have our minds made up. Hookah is enjoyable no matter the temperature of the water.
I would never call that an argument, that was definitely more like a friendly debate. I love working my brain like that! Thank you! And I wholeheartedly agree.
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:30 AM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

haha ya why do people always stop interesting debates, it makes you think cmon guys !!! its good for you
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

Um... starbuzz gives out rediculous clouds. BUT! Nakhla's Mizo line gives it a run for its money (at half the price)... plus mizo mint is the shizzle for rizzle.

Tangiers (lucid for me, thanks) puts out some clusterfuck clouds as well.
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Xazon
Hookah Nut

BLASPHEMY! its hookah domain!!
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Ninorey123
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Ninorey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xazon View Post
BLASPHEMY! its hookah domain!!
LOL oh cmon now. all hookah smokers are welcome here. and i STILL NEED TO TRY MIZO LINE! i've heard wonders about the grape.
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Rafi18
Hookah Nut

being from seattel do you happen to know of any good hookah stores on the east side? or lounge? I only know of two shops..one in bellevue owned by a korean coupple who don't really know much about hookah or shisha and prety much carry chinese crappy hookahs...exept they do have qt's or at least knock offs...and the other is in kirkland that's i believe is owned by a guy from the UAE who is realy helpfull and all but I'm kinda looking for variety, so if you have any input that would be awesome ^_^
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Your analysis based on physics is technically right, however, the change is not significant enough for you to notice. Cold smoke can be more pleasant, sometimes warms smoke is better for you. In the end you need the right tobacco, packed properly with the right heat management.

How you use the type of bowl you have will matter a lot. Its not the bowl itself, its how its used. You will get crazy thick smoke in a clay bowl, but if you dont watch it youll burn out all the tobacco really quickly.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
omgheyitskenny
Hookah Nut

Nakhla FTw
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook